Do You Need to Bounce E-Business Suite Application Servers Regularly?
By Steven Chan-Development-Oracle on Sep 01, 2011
A customer recently reported an issue where they needed to bounce their E-Business Suite application tier (mid-tier) servers once a week to resolve stability issues. This shouldn't be necessary. We recommend against bouncing EBS application servers regularly. We've done a lot of work with the E-Business Suite to ensure that regular bounces are not required with the latest releases.
Bouncing your system can reduce performance
It seems counter-intuitive, but bouncing your EBS application tier servers can actually reduce your system's performance rather than improve it. Oracle E-Business Suite is explicitly designed to minimize round trips between the application tier and the database. We make extensive use of caches:
- JDBC cache buffers
- Java object cache
- MSD cache for OA Framework pages
- ... and others
Treat the symptoms but miss the real problem
If you need to bounce your EBS application tier server regularly, there's a deeper problem with your environment.
Here are some issues that can be deceptively-masked by bouncing your EBS mid-tier:
- Improperly-tuned heap space (e.g. insufficient heap space, insufficient space for perm generation)
- Memory leaks (usually the result of poorly-designed customizations)
- Memory hemorrhage (usually the result of infinite loops or poorly-designed custom queries)
- Heap space fragmentation (usually the result of running older Java releases)
- JDBC connection leaks (resolved in 220.127.116.11 and all R12 releases)
If you're experiencing problems that seem to go away when you bounce your mid-tier, that's a red flag. You should log a formal Service Request with Oracle Support so that we can help you identify the root cause.
- Oracle E-Business Suite Applications Technology: Diagnostics and Troubleshooting Best Practices (PPT, 6 MB, OpenWorld 2010)
- WebCast Replay Available: Tuning All Layers of EBS (Part 1)
- Java 6 Certified With Release 11i
- Java 6 Certified with E-Business Suite Release 12
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.3 Now Available
- Java Caching for Oracle Applications 11i: Part 1
- Java Caching for Oracle Applications 11i: Part 2