After Windows XP and Office 2003: E-Business Suite Implications
By Steven Chan - EBS-Oracle on Apr 18, 2014
Our policy for the E-Business Suite is that we support certified third-party products as long as the third-party vendor supports them. When a third-party vendor retires a product, we consider that to be an historical certification for EBS.
What can EBS customers expect after April 2014?
After Microsoft desupports WinXP and Office 2003 in April 2014:
- Oracle Support will continue to assist, where possible, in investigating issues that involve Windows XP clients or Office 2003.
- Oracle's ability to assist may be limited due to limited access to PCs running WinXP or Office 2003.
- Oracle will continue to provide access to existing EBS patches for WinXP or Office 2003 issues.
- Oracle will provide new EBS patches only for issues that can be reproduced on later operating system configurations that Microsoft is actively supporting (e.g. Windows 7, Office 2010)
What should EBS users do?
Oracle strongly recommends that E-Business Suite upgrade their end-user desktops from Windows XP and Office 2003 to the latest certified equivalents. As of today, those are Windows 8 and Office 2010 (32-bit or 64-bit).
What about EBS desktop-based client/server tools?
EBS sysadmins might use up to 14 different desktop-based tools to administer selected parts of the E-Business Suite. These are:
Still in use (i.e. eligible for Error Correction Support)
- BI Publisher (BIP/XMLP)
- Configurator Developer
- Discoverer Administrator/Desktop
- Forms/Reports Developer
- JDeveloper OA Extensions
- Sales for Handhelds
- Warehouse Builder
- Workflow Builder
- XML Gateway Message Designer
- Applications Desktop Integrator (ADI)
- Balanced Scorecard Architect (BSC)
- Financial Analyzer
- Financial Services Suite
- Sales Analyzer Client
All of the tools still in use are certified with Windows 7.
For complete details, see:
- Recommended Set Up for Client/Server Products with Oracle E-Business Suite 11i & R12 (Note 277535.1)
Pending Desktop Certifications
A subset of desktop tools are certified with Windows 8. Certifications for Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Office 2013 are still underway.
Although I cannot discuss certification dates, you can monitor this blog for updates on those pending certifications.
EBS customers should avoid deploying Win8.1 or Office 2013 to end-users who depend on the E-Business Suite until these certifications are announced.
The preceding is intended to outline our general product direction. It is intended for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decision. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Oracle’s products remains at the sole discretion of Oracle.
- Confused About E-Business Server vs. Desktop Operating System Certifications?
- EBS Release 12 Certified with Mac OS X 10.9 with Safari 7 and JRE 7