Friday Apr 04, 2014
Friday Jan 17, 2014
By Chris Kawalek on Jan 17, 2014
Happy Friday! Our Friday Spotlight today is a bit unique in that we're putting the same information on both the Oracle Virtualization blog and the Oracle Linux blog. The reason is that we want to tell you about a fantastic opportunity for Oracle VM and Oracle Linux administrators.
On January 28, Oracle is hosting an event called Virtual Sysadmin Day. If you haven't attended one of these before, you're in for a treat. These events let you attend a virtual version of the hands on lab sessions that we run each year at Oracle OpenWorld. So, if you've ever wanted to go to one of those sessions but couldn't get to San Francisco or the other Oracle OpenWorld locations around the world, now is your chance to attend from the comfort of you desk!
The format is really cool. The materials for the lab are provided for you, you just need to have Oracle VM VirtualBox (it's a free download), and download the pre-configured virtual machines for the labs. You should do this ahead of the event, but all the information to help you do it is available to you when you register.
On the day of the event, you login and watch some intro content that sets up the labs, and then you follow the steps for the labs on you own system. Oracle experts will be in the chat area to help with issues you might run into.
Virtual Sysadmin Day Winter 2014
January 28, 2014
9AM - 1PM Pacific Standard Time
Virtual Sysadmin Day is one of my favorite events, I hope you have time to check it out!
Wednesday Dec 04, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Dec 04, 2013
Details: Thursday, 1:30 – 2:30pm, Room 17AB
Speaker: Chris Kawalek, Oracle
Find out how Oracle Linux is optimized for Oracle Database and the benefits of deploying them together on an integrated and fully tested infrastructure.
Details: Thursday, 11:00-11:25am, Expo area (Theater on the right)
Speaker: Chris Kawalek, Oracle
Realize the true potential of virtualization beyond server consolidation using Oracle VM’s application-driven virtualization approach.
Details: Thursday, 2:30-2:55pm, Expo area (Theater on the right)
Speaker: Tom Kopec, OracleGet a high level review of the recently announce Dell / Oracle Active Infrastructure.
Come to the Oracle booth on Monday and Tuesday, talk to our experts, pick up free Oracle Linux and Oracle VM software DVD.
Tuesday Nov 12, 2013
By Monica Kumar on Nov 12, 2013
Join us for a series of live events and discover how Oracle VM and
Oracle Linux offer an integrated and optimized infrastructure for
quickly deploying a private cloud environment at lower cost.
As one of the most widely deployed operating systems today, Oracle Linux delivers higher performance, better reliability, and stability, at a lower cost for your cloud environments. Oracle VM is an application-driven server virtualization solution fully integrated and certified with Oracle applications to deliver rapid application deployment and simplified management. With Oracle VM, you have peace of mind that the entire Oracle stack deployed is fully certified by Oracle.
Register now for any of the upcoming events, and meet with Oracle experts to discuss how we can help in enabling your private cloud.
Hope to see you at one of these events!
Thursday Nov 07, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Nov 07, 2013
You are invited to the live webcast with Nimble Storage, Oracle and Cisco where we will talk about the new SmartStack solution from Nimble Storage that features Oracle Linux, Oracle VM and Cisco UCS products.
In this webinar, you will learn how Nimble Storage SmartStack with Oracle and Cisco provides a converged infrastructure for Oracle Database environments with Oracle Linux and Oracle VM. SmartStack, built on best-of-breed components, delivers the performance and reliability needed for deploying Oracle on a single symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) server or Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) on multiple nodes.
Friday Sep 27, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Sep 27, 2013
Oracle is sponsoring GITEX, October 20 - 24, 2013, Dubai World Trade Center, Hall # 5
Oracle Linux brings the latest Linux innovations to market, delivering extreme performance, advanced scalability, and reliability for enterprise applications and systems along with worldwide, enterprise-class, low-cost support. Optimized for enterprise workloads, Oracle Linux is the only operating system to offer zero-downtime updates.
Oracle offers the industry's most complete and integrated virtualization, from desktop to the data center. Going far beyond simple consolidation, Oracle enables you to virtualize and manage your full hardware and software stack. Oracle VM server virtualization is designed to enable rapid enterprise application deployment and simplify lifecycle management.
Don't miss the opportunity to interact real time with subject matter experts from Oracle Linux and Oracle VM teams when you visit the booth.
Wednesday Sep 25, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Sep 25, 2013
How can we top today's activities in San Francisco??
First there is Americas Cup Finals where Oracle Team America is about to win, Customer appreciation concert featuring Maroon 5, San Francisco Giants vs LA Dodgers game.. too much excitement going on but we have some great events at Oracle OpenWorld as well.
Our Oracle Linux Sessions today:
10:15am Oracle Linux: Diagnostics and Troubleshooting (Greg Marsden) Westin- City
1:15pm HOL: Getting started with Linux Container (Lenz Grimmer) Marriott Marquis-Salon 5/6
Visit one of our demopods:
Migration Made Easy: Red Hat and SUSE Linux to Oracle Linux Moscone South, SC-144
Oracle Linux: The Best Enterprise Linux Moscone South, SC-146
Oracle Linux and Virtualization Pavilion
Visit the Oracle Linux and Virtualization Pavilion to hear why leading ISVs and IHV partners support Oracle Linux and Oracle VM. The partners attending to Linux and Virtualization Pavilion this year are: Beyondtrust, HP, Dell, Emulex, SAS, TrendMicro, NimbleStorage
We are also hosting an event in the pavilion :
"Meet the Experts" session today 3pm with Wim Coekaerts, Sr.VP of Oracle Linux and Virtualization Engineering as the guest with developers, experts from Oracle Linux and Oracle VM.
Visit this session and you can to talk to our experts you can get a limited edition T-Shirt and be in the drawing for a cool penguin.
Have a great day and GO Oracle Team USA and Oracle Linux team !
Monday Sep 23, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Sep 23, 2013
Tuesday Aug 13, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Aug 13, 2013
This year Australian Oracle User Group event INSYNC13 will feature Oracle Linux Half day workshop / Lab.
Come to see, hear and touch Oracle Linux – forget what others might have told you, experience it for yourself. How to install it, patch it and manage it and what is can do that no other Linux distributions can do. This is lab lecture session with ample time to experience Oracle Linux first hand plus a great Overview of Oracle Enterprise manager and Oracle VM for x86.
Being held in conjunction with the INSYNC13 series of conferences but being a separate component this workshop will attract an additional fee if you have not registered to attend one of the conferences.
- Melbourne, 20 August 1.45pm - 4.30pm
Rydges on Swanston 701 Swanston Street, Carlton, Melbourne, VIC 3053
- Brisbane 2 Sept 2.00pm - 5.00pm
Royal on the Park 152 Alice St, Brisbane QLD 4000
- Perth 12 November 2.00pm - 5.00pm
Pan Pacific 207 Adelaide Terrace Perth, WA 6000
Please complete the linked registration form.
Registering only for the Linux lab will not provide entry to any other INSYNC13 Conference session. However, even though you have registered for the Conference, you are still required to register separately for this lab to ensure there are sufficient training materials available.
Oracle Linux Track
- Understanding Oracle Linux and the options – compatible kernel or UEK
- Where to find Oracle Linux related information
- Package management on Oracle Linux using RPM and yum.
- Overview of Ksplice, zero downtime kernel updates that enable customers to apply security updates, patches and critical bug fixes without rebooting.
- Linux services and run levels, how to start and stop them, checking the status of a particular service.
- Preparing block devices, creating physical and logical volumes.
- Introduction to the Btrfs file system.
Paul Kangro, Principal Sales Consultant, Oracle
Paul has had a long career in IT spanning over 20 years with a variety of organizations including IBM, Cable and Wireless, Novell and now Oracle. During that time he has been involved in many aspects of IT including, Linux, Identity and Security, Virtualization and Cloud Computing providing technical and architectural advice to a wide range of clients around the Asian region.
As a Principal Sales Consultant for Oracle, Paul focuses on the technical aspects of Oracle’s Linux and Virtualization offerings. Paul studied Electrical Engineering at the University of NSW and has a Master in Management from MGSM.
Roshan Sathe, Senior Presales, Oracle VM and Oracle Linux @ Oracle CorpOracle
Paul will present at Brisbane and Perth
Roshan at Melbourne.
For more information please contact email@example.com or visit the event site.
Tuesday Jun 25, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Jun 25, 2013
Are you just starting on Oracle Linux or do you still feel you are missing some knowledge on how to configure, install or patch your Oracle Linux? If you answered yes, this event for you. This is our second virtual sysadmin day for Oracle Linux and it had been hugely popular in the past. This is a hands-on experience for all those Sysadmins that are looking for a great training without leaving their office or home. You will learn to:
- Install Oracle Linux using RPM and yum repositories; create storage volumes, prepare block devices, work with filesystems
- Create and mount Btrfs in Oracle Linux, work with block devices and snapshots
Come and join us on July 15, 9am-12pm Pacific Time for an informative and interactive session.
Wednesday Apr 10, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Apr 10, 2013
As the Oracle community is gathering at IOUG this week sharing news, checking out the latest innovations, the Oracle VM and Oracle Linux team are also busy working to expand our platform validation support. In a collaborative effort with both Cisco and NetApp, we’d like to give you an early glimpse of the upcoming reference architectures for Oracle Linux and Oracle VM with FlexPod:
- A FlexPod with Oracle VM is scheduled for the second half of 2013 – this Oracle VM architecture offers virtualization coverage for Oracle as well as non-Oracle workloads
- A FlexPod featuring NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP with Oracle Linux, coming Jun 30, 2013 – this is the second Oracle Linux bare-metal design
- A FlexPod with Oracle’s JD Edwards EnterpriseOne on Oracle Linux, coming April 9, 2013
- A FlexPod with Oracle Linux, coming June 14, 2013 – this is one of two bare metal designs for running Oracle DB on Oracle Linux
- Oracle VM – Application-Driven Virtualization difference: Speed Dev/Test/Production application deployment – Using Oracle VM Templates, customers can deploy applications 7-10x faster than traditional virtualization approaches. Entire application stacks including guest OS with Oracle Linux can quickly be deployed or provisioned in hours or minutes. This empowers IT to have a direct impact on the business Quality of Service by enabling more test systems and or respond to end customer requirements more quickly.
- Enhanced high availability with Oracle Linux: With Ksplice, Oracle Linux kernel updates are installed in seconds, without interrupting running applications or the people using those applications. You can quickly check on the current status of your systems before rolling out updates to your network. Installing updates requires no downtime, so your systems are more available than ever.
- Certified by Oracle: All Oracle applications are certified on Oracle VM. This gives customers peace of mind that FlexPod with Oracle VM running Oracle applications are both fully tested and certified by Oracle
- Reduce Licensing Cost: with zero licensing cost for both Oracle VM and Oracle Linux and low enterprise support cost, customers can dramatically reduce both capex and opex IT spending.
Friday Apr 05, 2013
By Zeynep Koch on Apr 05, 2013
Are you looking to deploy MySQL-based applications with Oracle Linux and Oracle VM either on-premise or in the cloud?
Are you in Europe?
Join us to learn how you can reduce costs and improve business agility while achieving the highest levels of MySQL scalability, security and uptime and hear about benefits of using Oracle Linux and Oracle VM for your infrastructure.
Thursday Dec 13, 2012
By Zeynep Koch on Dec 13, 2012
We're taking the very popular OTN Sysadmin Days and going virtual! We have two days to choose from:
Americas - Tuesday January 15th, 2013
9:00 a.m – 1:00 p.m. PT / 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. ET / 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. BRT
EMEA - Tuesday January 29th, 2013 -
9:00 a.m – 13:00 p.m GMT / 10:00 a.m – 14:00 p,m CET / 12:00 p.m – 16:00 p.m AST / 13:00 p.m – 17:00 p,m MSK / 14:30 p.m – 18:30 p.m IST
You'll be able to perform real-world tasks with Oracle Linux and if you have questions you can ask for help from the Oracle experts through chat window. There's one caveat: you'll have to do a little homework ahead of time. Load the virtual images onto your laptop, find the instructions, and make sure everything is working properly.
This wiki https://wikis.oracle.com/display/virtualsysadminday/Home explains what you need to do. If you have questions, ask them as comments to the wiki:https://wikis.oracle.com/display/virtualsysadminday/Home.
Oracle Linux Track
1. Oracle Linux Technology Overview - In this session we will go over the latest Oracle Linux features including tools for Linux administration such as the Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) and public yum. We will also show you a demo of Ksplice zero downtime kernel updates, only available to Oracle Linux customers. You will see how easy it is to switch from Red Hat support to Oracle Linux support by using ULN. Last but not least, we’ll introduce the 3 hands-on labs that will follow this session in the Linux track.
2. HOL: Package Management - In this lab session you will use the package management on Oracle Linux using RPM and yum. Some of the tasks that you will experience include listing installed packages, obtaining additional information about packages, searching for packages and installing/updating them as well as verifying package integrity and removing software. We’ll also review Linux services and run levels, how to start and stop them, checking the status of a particular service and enabling a service to be started automatically at system boot.
3. HOL: Storage Management - In this hands-on lab session, you will learn about storage management with LVM2, the Linux Logical Volume Manager, preparing block devices, creating physical and logical volumes, creating file systems on top of logical volumes, and resizing file systems dynamically. You will also practice setting up software RAID devices, configuring encrypted block devices.Btrfs File System - In this hands-on lab session, we will introduce you to Btrfs file system. You will be able to create and mount a Btrfs file system and learn to setup a mirrored/striped file system across multiple block devices. You’ll also learn how to add and remove block devices, and create file system snapshots.Register for this FREE event.
Monday Dec 03, 2012
By Zeynep Koch on Dec 03, 2012
Hello to all Latin Americans,
Oracle Openworld Latin America is starting tomorrow. Oracle Linux will be showcased in different sessions and in the exhibition area. Here's some of the links and details to our sessions:
Oracle Linux sessions:
New Features in Oracle Linux: A Technical Deep Dive, Dec 4, 13:30-14:30, Mezzanine Room 7
Oracle Linux Strategy and Roadmap, Dec 4, 17:15-18:15, Mezzanine Room 5
See you there :)
Oracle OpenWorld Latin America Exhibition Halls Hours
We will also hand out the following in our booth, don't forget to visit us:- Oracle Linux and Oracle VM DVD Kit
- Server Virtualization for Dummies
Tuesday Aug 07, 2012
By Zeynep Koch on Aug 07, 2012
Get the latest updates on strategy, products, events, news, customers, partners and all things Oracle Linux! Connect with Oracle's Linux experts.
- Red Hat Summit 2014
- Friday Spotlight: Easy Access to Java on Oracle Linux
- Announcing the availability of Oracle Linux 7 Beta 1
- Friday Spotlight: COLLABORATE14
- Oracle Linux Training At Your Own Pace
- Friday Spotlight: More Tips for Remote Access with Oracle Linux
- Friday Spotlight: Tips for Hardening an Oracle Linux Server
- New Oracle Linux System Administration Training Released
- Friday Spotlight: Oracle and Microsoft Offer Choice and Flexibility
- Don't Miss:EMEA Events covering Oracle Linux, Oracle VM, and MySQL