Welcome to Oracle Solaris 11.2
By Cindys-Oracle on May 05, 2014
This is a new blog about ZFS: I've been involved in Solaris system administration for many years and I have played a variety of roles. For the last 10 years, I've been a passionate evangelist for ZFS. I will be blogging about ZFS features in Oracle Solaris and in the larger Oracle ecosystem.
This blog entry is about our announcement of the past week: Those of us in Solaris Land are very excited about introducing Solaris 11.2 with integrated OpenStack features.
This quote from Sean Michael Kerner at eweek sums up our strategy: "OpenStack isn't just an overlay in Solaris; it is Solaris."
Because cloud, life-cycle, networking, security, storage, and virtualization features are deeply integrated into the base OS, Solaris is more than an OS, it's a complete cloud platform.
The eweek quote is similar to what I say about ZFS in Solaris. ZFS isn't just bolted on as an afterthought: "ZFS is the foundation of Solaris." More about this in another blog entry.
For today, let's review my top 10 list of great features that ZFS brings to OpenStack.
Top 10 Reasons Why ZFS is Best for Open Stack
- Reduce administration time so you can
focus on your business
- Robust data redundancy without whitebox sprawl
- Economics of a low cost ZFS storage solution means decision makers will love it
- Builtin compression means using less storage not more
- ZFS encryption keeps client data safe in an unsafe world
- Hardware acceleration means crazy fast ZFS encryption performance on SPARC
- Support for a variety of protocols means data storage your way
- Reduce tenant privileges by delegating only snapshot/cloning privileges in multitenant environments
- Rapidly deploy VMs in development, test, and production with ZFS snapshots and cloning
- Rapidly recover VMs in development, test, and production with ZFS rollback
For more information about giving Solaris 11.2 a spin, see the Solaris 11.2 Beta page.