First try with Sun Service Tags and SXDE 09/07
By yakshaving on Nov 05, 2007
I just installed SXDE 09/07 and decided to give Service Tags another shot. The installation of the Service Tags packages doesn't take a special effort.
Unfortunately I can't get the product registration agent to find anything. I checked with one of my co-workers to make sure that he had success before spending any time on the issue.
He confirmed that he was getting discovery for OS installs on systems without servicetag supported products.
So clearly I have just installed the packages. This is obnoxious.
So under preferences I enabled FINEST logging and tried again.
FINE: Checking ip addresses: 10.211.55.10 Nov 5, 2007 11:57:17 AM com.sun.scn.client.ui.RegClient getSystems FINE: Getting ip addresses: 10.211.55.10 Nov 5, 2007 11:57:17 AM com.sun.scn.client.ui.RegClient getSystems FINE: Checking: 10.211.55.10 Nov 5, 2007 11:57:17 AM com.sun.scn.client.ui.RegClient checkIPAddress FINE: Checking if valid ip address: 10.211.55.10 Nov 5, 2007 11:57:17 AM com.sun.scn.client.comm.TCPProbe run FINER: sending message to: 10.211.55.10 Nov 5, 2007 11:57:17 AM com.sun.scn.client.comm.Communicator$1 run FINER: communicating with: /10.211.55.10:6481 Nov 5, 2007 11:57:17 AM com.sun.scn.client.comm.Communicator getFromAgent FINE: Getting agent: http://10.211.55.10:6481/stv1/agent/
That look like communication to me, but wait a URI...trying in a browser returns:
When I look on my system I see libcrypto.so.0.9.8. I know an easy first try to "fix" that.
ld.so.1: in.stlisten: fatal: libcrypto.so.0.9.7: open failed: No such file or directory
ln -s /usr/sfw/lib/ibcrypto.so.0.9.8 /usr/sfw/lib/ibcrypto.so.0.9.7It seems to me that we could do with some sort of error detection or a host level smf service failure.
e.g. We got a response from the polled host but it wasn't anything that we were expecting.
Trying again in a browser returns a result that looks a lot like I would expect given my understanding of Service Tags.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <st1:response xmlns:st1="http://www.sun.com/stv1/svctag"> <agent> <agent_urn>urn:st:28e87b4a-a625-c5ec-b64e-a5c64a1a9f65</agent_urn> <agent_version>1.1</agent_version> <registry_version>1.0</registry_version> <system_info> <system>SunOS</system> <host>splat</host> <release>5.11</release> <architecture>i386</architecture> <platform>i86pc::snv_70b</platform> <manufacturer>Parallels Software International Inc.</manufacturer> <cpu_manufacturer>GenuineIntel</cpu_manufacturer> <serial_number>Parallels-18 F2 11 FF 3E 85 43 C5 B4 CC D7 85 04 84 A9 AD</serial_number> <hostid>39721385</hostid> </system_info> </agent> </st1:response>
Now everything is working as expected. That is what I am expecting to see!
Taking a look at the Sun Connection Inventory Channel I can see the host I just registered!
Now everyone should go and install the Service Tags agent and register their devices (It's tied to an extra bonus for us next year :) ).
References: Sun Connection on BigAdmin