With the 5.6.3 (Apps) and 10.1.3.2 (Standalone/BIEE) release of the BIP core engine you now have the ability to get vertical with your report objects. Its a small enhancement but quite useful ... how many of you receive a documents now with a barcode striped down the side, or maybe you have a table of data, column data is narrow but column names are long, now you can just flip em.
There are some caveats - you can only flip the text or data while its inside a table cell and it only works for PDF and RTF outputs. To set the content to show vertically just
1. Select the cell,
2. Right click > Text Direction
3. Choose the direction you want.
There is another option and that is to use the 'text along a line' feature, this has been around for a while. Just:
1. Draw a line object on the template, can be straight, curve or freehand
2. Right click > Format Autoshape
3. Under the web tab enter: <?shape-text-along-path:YOURTEXT?>
When the output renders your text will follow the line.