10.1.3.3.3 is almost out of the gate
By Tim Dexter on May 07, 2008
Well another release looms, 10.1.3.3.3 should be out within the week. Another point point point point release that we have squeezed some new stuff into. Nothing major but useful none the less - bigger things will come with 10.1.3.4 later in the year, will have to save those for now. I must thank Leslie for the majority of the following text, where would we be without her!
So, whats in there?
1. Bundling of DataDirect drivers - we have noticed that folks have been struggling when it comes to setting up connections to databases other than Oracle. The database vendors JDBC libraries do not always work as we expected leading to issues when you are either retrieving data or setting up the scheduler schema. So we are now shipping drivers ourselves for
- IBM DB2 v8.1, v9.1
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005
- Oracle 9, Oracle 10g
To help on the scheduler setup front the admin page has been updated to help you out a bit more.
2. Link to this report now configurable - I wrote about this feature a while back. Its the ability to get the URL shortcut to a specific report. Its neat but not all of you wanted it available to your users. So it's not configurable on a per report basis.
3. RTF Output Enhancements - as many of you have seen all output formats are not created equal with BIP. PDF outputs get everything we can get into them - the RTF output came in a poor second. We have addressed some of those shortcomings. We now support the following in the RTF output :
- "Keep Paragraph with the Next Paragraph" - The RTF standard includes a command that enables you to "keep a paragraph with the next paragraph." This command prevents a page break between the paragraph for which it is enabled and the following (or next) paragraph
- Keep Paragraph Intact - The RTF standard includes a command that enables you to keep all the lines of a paragraph together ("keep paragraph intact") and prevent the paragraph from breaking across pages.
- Support for Table "Heading Rows Repeat" - The RTF standard includes a command that enables the repeat of the table heading rows when the table breaks across pages.
- Support for "Table Row Keep Together" - The RTF standard includes a command that enables you to prevent a table row from breaking across pages.
3. Support for Multiple Cascading Parameters - Cascading parameters enable you to filter available values for each parameter in a set of parameters that have a relationship. The choice you make from the first parameter in a set of cascading parameters determines the available values for the next parameter. In this way, you can filter choices down to a manageable number for each cascading parameter. Previously only two levels of cascading parameters could be supported. BIP now supports cascading parameters beyond two levels.
4. Support for Vertical Alignment of External Graphics - Support for the attribute "vertical-align" for the FO element "external-graphic" has been added in the 10.1.3.3.3 release of BI Publisher. This enables you to format the alignment of an externally referenced image inline with text. This attribute can be applied when coding an XSL-FO template or an RTF template. The valid values for the attribute are:
5. Support for Multiple Currency Symbol Displays in Report - The format-currency function now accepts a third parameter, "displaySymbolOrNot" to enable the display of multiple currency codes in a single report. The International Standards Organization (ISO) currency code must be present in the report data to pass to the format-currency function.
This is pretty cool, you can now get BIP to include currenct symbols next to your values in a report.
Some nice enhancements for a minor release, once it is released I'll cover some of the features in more detail.