Things I liked in 2004
By wyllys on Dec 20, 2004
I considered making a "top 10" list, but then I was worried I wouldn't come up with 10 good thoughts :) So, in the spirit of blogging, here are some of my favorite things about 2004 (in no particular order).
- Solaris 10 - It's redundant in this forum to keep gushing about our latest release, but I can't help but sing the praises of our new baby. 4 years ago when I started at Sun, I was given an old laptop to use when travelling. My first thought was to try and put Solaris 8 (x86) on it. Big mistake. Video drivers didn't work right, PCMCIA support was non-existent (or very difficult to get working correctly), which meant that I couldn't use my NIC card (and definitely couldn't use my wireless card). I gave up after a few days of teeth gnashing and went with some Linux distro. Fast forward to 2004 and its a completely different story - Solaris 10 installs smoothly, it has all of the key features I need (video support, PCMCIA support for many NIC cards, CD/DVD RW support) and its F-A-S-T. I love opening it up at a conference or in front of customers and seeing the look of disbelief when I say "No, it's not Linux, this is Solaris 10.". 2005 should be a great year as the rest of the world will see what we've been up to for the past 3 years.
- My iPOD - I got a 10GB iPOD last year for Christmas and its been my #1 gadget ever since. My preferred use is to plug it into my car (cassette adapter) and use it on road trips - nothing like having 1000 or more of your favorite songs right there in a tight little package. Why would anyone get one of those bulky car CD changers these days??
- Netflix - Fantastic idea, wish I'd thought of it first (and had the money to make it happen). I can't see any reason why I would ever visit a traditional video store again.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers 13-1 BABY! What a great season. I was at 2 games this year, the opener against the Raiders and the Halloween game against the Patriots. Whipping the Patriots and Eagles back-to-back made my year. Now they gotta take care of business and keep it going to the very end.
- Music - Lots of great music came out this year, but I seem to be stuck in the early 1990's in my own tastes. My favorites this year were:
- U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - Vertigo is sort of everywhere right now, but I still dig the opening riffs.
- Pearl Jam - Live at Benaroya Hall - Pearl Jam is often overlooked in the ugly homogenized world of commercial radio, but they still have a really solid fan base and are still cranking out great music. This album really showcases what great musicians they are and what a great voice Eddie Vedder still has.
- blogging - blogging was influential throughout the presidential election cycle, and its now growing into all kinds of new areas. I am not a particularly prolific blogger (its been months since my last post), but I enjoy reading others. I especially enjoy photoblogging which is a cool way to exhibit your own personal favorite photos for others to comment on. My Photo Blog .