The surviving instinct !!

Life is very unpredictable and you have to be prepared for the worst all the time.

Summer 2005! I was visiting SUN's San Jose, California campus for a month. It wasnt the first time in US for me and I know how things work there in gerenal. Staying in the apartment on weekends, that too in a country where there was still lot of stuff to explore for me, didnt make much sense. In fact, I was making some big plans of visiting Las Vegas.

Fortunately, A friend of mine who was currently visiting Las Vegas was ready to company me there. I had only one weekend left before I would go back to India and I made my decision to go see my friend in Vegas on that weekend. I tried to get another friend of mine who could join me from San Jose, but that didn't work out. On friday evening, I got home pretty late from work but still continued with the plan as I thought it was worth taking the risk of driving in the night for las Vegas than sitting at home.

I got all the maps that would help me reach my friend's hotel. The car that I was going to drive was a Green Hyundai Sonata with a moonroof. It was around 8-9 hours drive and I started at around 10 pm.

Driving alone at night is not recommended in US as it is eventless and fatigue gets on to the driver, but I was doing pretty well with some breaks at the rest areas.

At around 3 am, I overturned my car at one turn and then in the correction lost control of the car completely. The speed was around 75 miles/hr. The car was dragging on the road, sitting in the car, I knew it could be all dark in just few seconds. Those 4-5 seconds, I saw all the people in my life flashed in front of my eyes. It was a big shock. The car hit something on its right side and at that speed it toppled in the air. It made one complete round and landed back on its wheels. I was conscious and when the car stopped I tried to get out of it before anything else could happen. I removed my seat belt and tried to open the door and realized that my left hand (at the wrist) is badly hurt. Blood was drooling down heavily from there and saw that some flesh of my hand is lying down in the car. I saw another car stopping! I came out and sat by the road. By the time that guy came out 0f the car, I think he had already dialed 911 and was talking to them about what has happened and where exactly we are.

More than the pain, I was still in the shock. But still, I knew that I am in for a big trouble as I am alone and not a US citizen. I was worried about my stuff which was still in the car, as it had my passport and other documents which will be of utmost importance now. I went to the car and tried to get my stuff out but could not, car was damagaed at the rear end. After finishing the call that guy came to me and asked me not to touch the car. He looked horrified after seeing my open wound, but I was more worried about getting my stuff out. I told him if he could help me, but he said "you stay away, I will get it for you". He tried, but could not get it out as well. Then he got some cloth for me to put it on the wound and then asked how this all happened. It seems he saw the car toppling in the air and huge smoke around it and stopped. He was like God to me then.

Within next 5-7 minutes, the emergency help reached there. The first thing they did was to put the neck-strap around my neck. Now, this was really very irritating. I thought my neck was fine but then they said this is for your safety precaution and they do it for all car accidents. I was still worried about my bags and asked them to get it. Everyone was worried about me and hurrying to get me in the van and I was thinking about my passport. In next 2 minutes, the highway patrol car came. The officers asked me what happened and completed my statement. They finally got my stuff out and put that into the ambulance van. I was lying on the stretcher with extreme irritation due to that neck-strap. Until, I left that place, I did not see any other car passing by. I just thought what would have happened if that guy was not behind me, I didn't even have a cellphone.

I was taken to an emergency hospital. From the reactions of people there, I could make out that my hand is in bad condition. The neck-strap irritation was killing me. Xrays were taken for my left leg, left hand and neck. Finally, the doctor came and said, your hand needs to be grafted so we will shift you to another hospital. I asked him about the neck-strap, he said "put it on! its essential. You neck test are not completed yet". They decided to shift me to a bigger hospital which was about 30 mins drive away from there where I spent next 24 hours.

It is very difficult when one is alone in the hospital as a patient, There are so many things that are not told to the patients. So, everytime I got into any conversation with the nurses or the doc, I had to ask all sorts of questions to figure out whats exactly happening to me. Lots of Xrays were taken for my left hand and Neck. For the neck they found that I have survived from a hair-line fracture in the neck and it could have been a lot worse. By then, my neck was completely swollen and it was very stiff. Thats when I realized why they forced me to wear that strap.

Another nurse/trainee doc came to me after sometime and said they have found a gravel in my wound which has to be taken out. I asked if I could see the Xray but they refused to show me saying that it is on a computer and you cant be taken there. I had no option but to allow her to play with my open wound. She came with the apparatus. First, she gave local anesthesia around my wound and started looking for that foreign particle in my hand. She showed... rather educated me about all the internal things in my hand. Now, I know how does a nerve, tendent look like from inside... what happens to the nerve when you tightly hold your finger? I was seeing all that. She finally found a metal peace beneath another layer of flesh... I still have it with me. With every such incidence I was getting stronger I felt than breaking down. After that they cleaned up my hand and did the dressing. After lots of Xrays, a CTScan was done of my neck to make sure that it is completely safe. In the meantime, I called up my friend and told him that I could not reach Vegas.

At 4 am, the next morning, I was told that all my tests are now done and I could go home. "Thank you very much. How can I get home now ?". "Give us your phone number? We will call your family". "They are in India". "Ohh! So, from where were you going to Vegas??". "San Jose". "You mean San Jose up north?? how are you going to get back there??". "I dont know". After a lot of discussion, I ended up catching a GreyHound bus to San Jose. The bus started from San Beranandino at 9 am and reached L.A. at 12 noon. Another bus from there started at 2.30 pm and reached SanJose by 8pm. I travelled in that bus for about 9 hours with a neck-strap, limping swollen left leg and the wounded hand. Not to forget the other stuff like my own suitcase, a food bag given to me by one of the nurses and a laptop. I dont know how I did this, but when I saw my friends waiting for me at the bus stop I was about to break down, but didnt. My friends had called the hospital and found out that I will be in that bus.

The next day was lot of work. I had to go change my dressing and fill up all the insurance claim forms. At San Jose Urgent medical care, I found out that the dressing was done with sticky gauze and everytime it was removed it would hurt me a lot as it will take out all the skin around my wound again. huh! It was not over yet. The pain was unbearable. I had to fax some claim forms to the insurance person in India and hence went to office after my visit to that hospital. Somehow managed to complete that with only one hand in working condition and was limping aroung in the office. The doc had told me that grafting cant be done immediately and it would take 2-3 weeks for the wound to be ready for it. I had decided that I would go back to india and then do my surgery. That day, I got my flight tickets confirmed for the next day evening.

The next day I packed my bags and called home. "Dad, my work is over and I am leaving tonight. I will be coming directly to Mumbai and will stay at home for few days. Can you come to the airport to pick me up ?". Flying half of the planet could be a lot of fun, but its worse when you are in such a state. I checked in all my luggage and only kept few fruits/medicine with me on the flight. With only one hand, It was not easy to eat anything in the fight. The worse part of the journey was the stopover at HongKong for about 7 hours. I could not move around with my limping leg, had no choice but to sit in one place and avoid people looking at me. Horrible.

The flight landed on mumbai airport on time. After the custom's clearance, before I could go out I removed my neck-strap and covered the dressing of my hand. I was going to see my family now. I came out and saw my family waiting for me with smiles. I went to them and spoke for few seconds. Dad asked me "whats wrong with your neck". I didnt answer. I had to show them my dressing. Everyone was scared. In the car, everyone was quiet. I had to tell them what happened. I told them "accident". "car accident". "car toppled in air"! I knew I have done the right thing by not telling them all this from US. Now, they can see me and will take it right.

After spending that night at my Uncle's place, we came down to pune, my hometown. The next 25 days or so, I was in the hospital in Pune. A Plastic surgeon and Hand specialist was treating me. My skin grafting was done successfully. Since I had lost a lot of flesh of my hand, that part of my hand still looks very ugly. But, I have accepted it. I might do another surgery later to fix that. The neck starp was on for about 30 days. Its really amazing how body heals itself.

After every fall, one gathers more strength to reach higher. Few minutes of that incident and 2 months of recovery has changed me. I still dont believe myself when I think of the strength that I had when I was going through all that, alone. I still remember the 5 seconds when I was sitting in the car when it was out of control, the flesh lying in the car, the look on the face of the guy who called 911, the people in the hospital, the way that Cathay Pacific Crue Head lady spoke to me, my family and friends when they first saw me. I am very lucky to get away with just one scar on the left hand, it could have been a lot worse. I didnt want to die alone and I think that surviving instinct got me back my life!

I joined work after about 50 days from that night. Within a month, I performed on stage. Within 6 months, I was in US again and on the thanksgiving '05, I visited Las Vegas. I drove down with 2 of my other friends. The trip was fantastic, It has become a very special place for me now.

I cant tell you how happy it makes me to have the same life back without any accomodations.


Wow glad you made it, its quite a story. Hopefully next time you want to go from San Jose to Las Vegas, you book a seat on an airplane. Its the safer way to fly. ;-) That is quite a story.

Posted by James Dickens on February 24, 2006 at 03:46 PM IST #

I was not aware of this incident when I met you in San Jose in Dec 2005. I got to know about it later from other people. It is not easy to overcome the trauma of such incidences and you have done it in style by moving on in life and publishing it in your blog! It takes courage to do so. Mayuresh - hats off to you! I salute your spirit and way you handled it!

Posted by Chetan Desai on December 10, 2006 at 08:04 AM IST #

Lucky you!!!
Nicely composed...take care...

Posted by Vaibhav on November 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM IST #

hey very well written .. the fact is m not into reading blogs n all .. my hubby was behind me to read this blog .. I could not find time to read it ...or I was rather not interested to read it .. today I started reading the story and trust me I kept all my work aside till the time I finished this.. felt as if I am there to see the whole incident .. I truely appreciate your positive attitude .. All the best ... Take Care!

Posted by Harita on November 20, 2009 at 07:47 PM IST #


Good to know you recovered well...

Bit more details of how the accident happen...

Did the air bags deploy. Hopefully wearing seat belt reduce your injury.

Posted by Prashant Manapure on April 30, 2010 at 09:28 AM IST #

i dont knw wat to say, i am speechless rite now but i m very happy dat u were very strong thru out.......

Posted by Mitali Dandia on April 30, 2010 at 09:33 AM IST #

Wow. Wasn't aware all this had happened to you. Take care buddy and keep up the spirit.

Posted by Amber Palekar on April 30, 2010 at 08:44 PM IST #

Whoa! Never read this one earlier!
The part where you described your first thoughts after the realization that its going to happen really gave me some sort of goosebumps.
Happy that you made it. :)
Nicely written too!
Take care.

Posted by Jazarine on May 01, 2010 at 01:04 PM IST #

Wow.. Am sure must be quite an ordeal! Especially being alone in a new place.
But must salute your positive spirit and your picture.. well, it speaks volumes about this fighter named Mayuresh!

Posted by Archana on October 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM IST #

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed



« July 2016

No bookmarks in folder