I just wanted to give you a quick example on how to get started with Oracle Linux 6 and start using the updates we published on http://yum.oracle.com
- Download Oracle Linux (without the requirement of a support subscription) from http://edelivery.oracle.com/linux.
- Install Oracle Linux from the ISO or DVD image
- Log in as user root
- Download the yum repo file from http://yum.oracle.com
# cd /etc/yum.repos.d
# wget http://yum.oracle.com/public-yum-ol6.repo
- If you want, you can edit the repo file and enable other repositories, I enabled [ol6_UEK_latest] by just setting enabled=1 in the file with a text editor.
- Run yum repolist to show the registered channels and you see we are including everything including the latest published RPMs.
Now you can just run yum update and any time we release new security errata or bugfix errata for OL6, they will be posted and you will automatically get them. It's very easy, very convenient and actually very cool. We do a lot more than just build OL RPMs and distribute them, we have a very comprehensive test farm where we test the packages extensively.