The First OpenSolaris Project: GCC Support

The First OpenSolaris Project: GCC Support

OpenSolaris is (finally) available. I've been working on this every day I've been with Sun, though others have spent years on the effort, and it's an amazing milestone. Unlike most launches, though, this is the beginning of a new effort rather than the end of one. As much as we've done already, there's far more left to be done before OpenSolaris can fulfil all our promises and achieve all our goals.

One promise we have fulfilled today is our commitment to make OpenSolaris accessible to people without the money or desire to buy compilers. Since most of Solaris is normally built with the Sun Studio compilers, this meant we'd need either to provide the compilers on the same terms as Solaris (also required to build OpenSolaris sources), or modify the sources to build and work with the GNU C compiler, available with source and free of charge under the terms of the GNU GPL. For reasons more illustrative of bureaucracy and human nature than of technological difficulties, we were unsure almost until the moment of launch whether we would be able to provide the Studio compilers under acceptable terms; therefore, another engineer and I have spent the last two and a half months porting OpenSolaris to gcc.

At this point I had a nice writeup on inline assembly differences between the Studio and GNU compilers. But it relies on source code that isn't available yet - namely, the gcc-specific inline assembly files. So instead I'll talk about why it happened that way and why it's actually a good thing. I'll also talk about some straight-up bugs we found in the process of porting.

We received word that a final Studio license had been agreed upon on June 3 - just 11 days ago! The license is free-as-in-beer and although somewhat vague seems reasonable enough. Of course, I prefer using only Free Software and promoting it whenever possible (as we're going with OpenSolaris), so I'd really rather use gcc. Our plan of record was to make a merged workspace available as "official" OpenSolaris. There were three sets of changes that needed to be merged together in the last three days leading up to launch: the gcc changes, which edit about 2500 files (mostly to fix compiler warnings), a large wad of renames to support the separation of code we're releasing now from that which we're hoping to release later (thousands of renames), and the coup d'grace, the addition of the CDDL license block to over 24,000 files. In the end, this gigantic 3-way merge proved impractical: there were over 1700 conflicts to resolve. Most are trivial and can easily be automerged by TeamWare, our revision control system, but the sheer volume and shortened schedule would have made adequate testing impossible.

Instead of the three-way merge, then, we elected to take the minimum amount of change we could: the addition of the CDDL blocks and the separation of released from unreleasable source. That meant gcc support would not ship in the "official" sources - but it could still be made available to the developer community. This is important for several reasons - first, it illustrates an important principle: FCS quality all the time. That is, if it's not good enough for a customer, it's not good enough to be putback. Since there was no doubt in anyone's mind that the gcc work was not ready for either, that meant it also wasn't good enough to call OpenSolaris. Second, it offers us an opportunity to provide a glimpse into the way projects work. One of the most common questions we get is "so, if the gate always has to be golden, how does any major work ever get done?" Like most people, we do major work in "branches" off the trunk. TeamWare supports children of children and merging of independent workspaces with common ancestry, so that no complicated branching apparatus is needed as for CVS. What will be available on the gcc project page will be that project gate. You're invited to participate - there are over 300 mostly very small bugs to fix.

One of the most significant kinds of bug we found were programs writing into string constants, confirming Osborne's Law. These programs ordinarily work properly because the Studio compilers place the string constants in the .data section or some other writable data section. The flag -xstrconst changes this behaviour, placing the strings in .rodata or a similar read-only segment and thus also allowing them to be shared. This reduces runtime memory usage but comes at a cost: buggy programs that attempt to write to the constant strings will trigger a segmentation violation and normally die. gcc acts as if this flag were always on, and applies it to other const data types as well. The end result is greater enforcement of correctness at the cost crashes.

Fortunately fixing these is very easy. For example, I fixed bug number 6281909 (you're supposed to be able to see bugs, too, but it doesn't seem to include the bugs of interest) by fixing the selector function not to assume it can write '=' and '\\0' into its arguments. Note that the correct use of 'const' can help prevent this kind of problem.

The original article on inline assembly will appear when the source it references appears - and you can help make that happen sooner: check out the gcc project page.


Technorati Tag:
Technorati Tag:
Comments:

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed
About

wesolows

Search

Archives
« April 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
   
       
Today