Oracle Unveils New Sun Ray 3 Series Clients
By user12797724 on sep 20, 2010
Secure, Convenient, and Cost-Effective Devices are Latest Additions to Desktop Virtualization Portfolio
ORACLE OPENWORLD, SAN FRANCISCO – Sept. 20, 2010
- Further enhancing its desktop virtualization portfolio and enabling customers to benefit from integrated, cost-effective, and secure virtualization, Oracle today introduced two new thin client devices: the Sun Ray 3 Client and the Sun Ray 3i Client.
- Oracle’s Sun Ray Clients provide customers with a desktop computing solution designed to increase security, improve employee access, and reduce the maintenance, upgrade, and operational costs associated with traditional desktop environments.
- The Sun Ray 3i Client includes an integrated high definition (HD) display; fast, flexible networking; five USB 2.0 ports; and enhanced usability. The Sun Ray 3 Client is the lowest-cost thin client offered by Oracle. Both deliver the benefits of the Sun Ray Client architecture: no local operating system to manage, integrated smart card reader, and a secure and energy efficient design.
- The new Sun Ray 3 Series Clients are the latest additions to Oracle Virtualization, the industry's most complete desktop-to-datacenter virtualization portfolio; enabling customers to virtualize and manage their full hardware and software stack from applications-to-disk.
Sun Ray Clients: Revolutionizing Desktops
- Sun Ray Clients differ from complex PCs and other thin clients as they have no local operating system, resulting in lower management and administration costs and fewer security vulnerabilities.
- Sun Ray Clients can display Oracle Solaris, Oracle Linux, Windows, and many other server hosted shared or virtual desktop operating systems, without giving up features such as multimedia audio/video playback.
- Using Oracle Sun Ray Software or Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, thousands of Sun Ray Client devices can be managed from a single, centralized user interface.
- With no local data storage, Sun Ray Clients help eliminate the possibility of data loss from damage or theft of the device.
Cost-Effective, Compact and Secure Desktop Virtualization
The new Sun Ray 3 Series Clients offer an integrated smart card reader and energy efficiency with a Silver rating from EPEAT® and are ENERGY STAR® 5.0 Thin Client Category A compliant.
- High-resolution monitor support, for standard and widescreen displays, and is capable of monitor resolutions of up to 1920 x 1200.
- Full featured connectivity, including five USB 2.0 ports and Gigabit Ethernet.
- Energy efficiency, with typical power consumption of six watts and up to 92 percent recyclable parts, the Sun Ray 3 Client has a mean time between failure (MTBF) of more than 22 years. These features help reduce environmental impact and lower total cost of ownership.
- Integrated, high-resolution monitor, with 21.5 inch widescreen display and full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution, providing more desktop real estate for professional users. Also included is an analog video out port for use with video projectors.
- Built-in efficiency, with up to 98 percent recyclable parts, and features a MTBF of over eight years.
- Enhanced connectivity, with Gigabit Ethernet and USB peripheral connectivity including five USB 2.0 ports for enhanced I/O performance.
- With the introduction of the Sun Ray 3i Client, customers now have a choice of screen sizes with the Sun Ray 270 Client’s 17 inch integrated monitor and the Sun Ray 3i Client with its 21.5 inch integrated monitor.
- Sun Ray 2 Clients will be available to order through October 2010 to help customers transition.