By user12797724 on mei 10, 2011
New Release Enables Easier Deployment and Improved Audio, Video and Smart Card Support
Redwood Shores, Calif. – May 10, 2011
- Continuing to innovate across its desktop virtualization offerings, Oracle today announced Sun Ray Software 5.2.
- The latest release of Oracle’s server-hosted desktop software is dramatically simpler to install and configure and features improved video, audio, smart card, Virtual Private Network (VPN), and network resiliency.
- Sun Ray Software is part of Oracle’s complete desktop-to-datacenter virtualization portfolio, allowing customers to efficiently and easily virtualize and manage their full software and hardware stack, from applications to disk.
Easier Deployment and an Enhanced Audio and Video Experience
- Oracle’s Sun Ray Software virtually eliminates maintenance, upgrade, operational costs and security vulnerabilities associated with traditional desktop environments by centralizing management, data, and applications on a server-hosted environment.
- Sun Ray Software enables users to access virtual Windows, Linux, and Oracle Solaris desktop environments through any combination of Sun Ray Clients, PCs or Macs.
- Sun Ray Software interoperates with other virtualization technologies and desktop brokers.
- New enhancements in Sun Ray Software 5.2 include:
- Simplified installation and deployment: an integrated installer allows Sun Ray Software to be downloaded and deployed in one, easy-to-install package.
- Richer multimedia experience: delivers a complete, optimized Windows Media Player experience for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 that is equal to a standard PC. Optimized multimedia delivery to the local client provides enhanced network utilization and scalability.
- Real-time audio: provides USB headset support for specific devices; Appliance Link Protocol dynamically optimizes the audio channels to meet application demands, improving audio quality and reducing network bandwidth consumption by 92 percent.
- Oracle Solaris IPMP support for greater resiliency and load spreading: enables users to leverage Oracle Solaris IP Multipathing (IPMP) to deploy multiple network paths to the server infrastructure for network fault tolerance and load spreading.
- Sun Ray Client operating software enhancements: additional smart card support, including cards that operate at the ISO-7816 defined voltages of 1.8V, 3V, or 5 Volts; and extended VPN options, including support for Cisco VPN with hybrid authentication.
"Today’s organizations are under more pressure than ever to maximize efficiencies, while minimizing costs,” said Wim Coekaerts, Oracle’s senior vice president, Linux and Virtualization Engineering. “With Sun Ray Software, IT can centralize the management and maintenance of thousands of thin clients – reducing cost and complexity, while enhancing security. Innovations in Sun Ray Software 5.2 make it even easier to install and update, while delivering an improved end user audio and video experience.”
Oracle’s Sun Ray Clients
Oracle Sun Ray Software 5.2 can be downloaded here. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.