By williamxue on Mar 16, 2009
On Mar.15, another InstallFest at BeiYou University HongFu brach. Some pictures FYI.
Last Sunday (Mar. 8) afternoon, Techgirls Group from BLUG and BOSS (Beiyou University OSS society) in Beiyou University (BUPT) co-organizing a Girls Installfest. But this time is NOT girl only activity. ;). I received invistation to be a speaker and help to the participator to install OpenSolaris. It's good opportunity to promote OpenSolaris the community.
Almost all the participants had no any experience of using Solaris. Even it is the first for a lot of them to hear of Solaris. At the beginning，I did a twenty-minutes presentation to introduce the OpenSolaris. Then, Forrest Wu, who have been work on ZFS project as a DP for more than three years, also give a very short presentation to introduce ZFS. I believe the presentations are very helpful to attract the participated students to install OpenSolaris. Especially for ZFS. :) This afternoon, Forrest and I helped more than ten students installed OpenSolaris (dual boot or in virtualbox) successfully.
This is a successful activity. I summarized some concern of students and issue we encountered. I think these issues/concern deserve our attention and improvement in order to attract more users.
1. Parted disk - Most of student have a WindowsXP/Vista OS, so the first thing to install dual root system is disk partition. It's seems only mast partition could be recognized by installer.
2. How much size ZFS snapshot need? very small, even you can ignore it.
3. Where I can download and upgrade software? Besides default IPS server, IPS server mirror available for China : http://pkg.unix-center.net. Futher more:
blastwave (preferred) http://blastwave.network.com:10000/
4. Instance message client application: Can I use qq and fetion? Yes, pidgin support qq and fetion protocol modules. But currently, you need compile them by yourself. I have to say that these two instance message tools are very very popular in China. The office number by Tencent, there are 4 hundred million registered users for qq. And fetion is the fastest-growing instant messaging tools in China currently which delivered by China Mobile. So if these two modules could be integrated by default for China user, it will make OpenSolaris more closed with China user.
5. Driver, as you know this is old problem, we are resolving them step by step. The good thing is that we can see most major device drive we supported. And good news is more and more device drivers will be supported in the future.
Here some pictures I'd like share with you.
Yesterday I attended Sun University Day. I did virtualbox demo. We communicated with student by Q&A. Here are some pictures of Sun University Day in Beijing Tsinghua, and Techday. You can see my colleague Harry Fu'blog, to know what student asked.
Sun University Day in Beijing - Tsinghua University will be hold on this Friday, 2008/11/21. My colleagues and I have a session to show some OpenSolaris Demos (Desktop and Entertainment, Package management and ZFS, Developer Tools, VirtualBox) . And also have free QA time for audience. I will demo and introduce VirtualBox.
If you are interested, you can register from http://developers.sun.com.cn/events/overview.html
Sun University Day in Beijing (清华大学 Sun 大学日)
For agenda details please see: http://developers.sun.com.cn/events/agenda.html
Sun Techday in Beijing also will be hold on 2008/11/21~2008/11/22 at 北京国际会议中心
See details :http://www.suntechdays.cn/
I will be there 2008/11/22.
Hope see you then. :)
First of all I would like to congratulate my dear students， all of you have completed that course successfully !
Time flies, the twinkling of an eight-week period has passed, you all achieved with great effort!Eight weeks ago, Almost nobody had written program in C language, and even no one ever heard of Solaris/Unix! That is true, their bachelor major backgrounds are including electronics, mechanics, mathematics, physics, chemistry, education, economics, finance, management, and even English, but only computer science hard to find. Sigh. . It's really a big challenge for all of us!
But we made it finally, actually you made it. How could you do that? During this period, you make unremitting efforts and I am touched by that:
Some of the students bought a new hard disk or even a new laptop in order to install Opensolaris environment.
In order to meet the Deadline, several groups of students stayed up all night.
So many question emails I received from you showed you had tried so many times.
Passion and hard working make you success. At the conclusion presentation, all of the group can run the program. I'm proud of you! And there's not doubt that all of you have confidence now!
Thanks for JiaoTong University and my boss/company offering me such a great opportunity! And also thank my students, I spent a wonderful time with you, It's really cool experience! and will be my cherish! Your good work also make me get a sense of achievement. I hope we can keep in touch in the future!
However, that just for you to open a small program window of unimagined wonderfulness is still in front.
So, Please Keep on Moving on!
These are pictures of the conclusion presentation