links for 2008-08-21
By webmink on Aug 20, 2008
- What's $100 Million Between Frienemies?
The word that springs to mind here is "Danegeld", in the Kipling sense.
- Judge: Man can't be forced to divulge encryption passphrase
Although this is good news (that suspicion of a crime isn't enough to allow constitutional rights to be abrogated) I doubt it will make a whole lot of difference to most people actually at the border, where authorities routinely assume they can ignore all human rights without recourse.
- Who's on First in Medals Race?
This WSJ article points out that the Olympic Games rules actually prohibit counting medal rankings, while noting only the US media out of all other global commentators ranks countries by number of overall medals.
- A Practical Guide to GPL Compliance - Software Freedom Law Center
Interesting new document from SFLC.
- Commercial Open Source: Is That an Oxymoron?
How come anyone - least of all a journalist who claims they cover the "open source beat" - still be asking this question a decade into the revolution. For goodness sake, it's free as in "freedom", not free as in "price", how many times do we all have to explain it?
- SoyLatte, Meet OpenJDK: OpenJDK 7 for Mac OS X
Give the community the freedom to meet its own needs and see what happens. Fantastic work!
- Posting manually has its benefits (I was able to add the link in the text above) but I'd still rather I could make it happen automatically as, well, that's the whole point.