New release of WebCenter out today
By vince.casarez on Jan 25, 2011
The WebCenter product team is pleased to announce a feature packed new release of WebCenter Suite. While the label carries a Patchset version number, the enhancements in this release are significant! The focus of this release was to deliver on a single converged portal platform that supports the broadest set of portal and extranet site use cases and ingests the best features from all of the existing products to speed customer adoption. With the enhanced application integration and business mashup tools, the new release of WebCenter delivers a modern user experience platform for the enterprise that brings people, processes, and information together to change the way users work individually or with others. Highlights include:
- Portals & Sites: Provides developers with the broadest set of choices to deliver their sites and portals. They can use any web toolkit like Dojo & jQuery and still take advantage of the hundreds of new WebCenter Portal features. New visual, declarative tools to speed development in JDevelper and the browser as well. Optimized iterative development speeds some development operations by nearly 50X.
- Team & Social: New layouts and skins for WebCenter Spaces enables teams to get started immediately. User profiles can be unified from any source and updated within the Spaces UI. The new visual Organization viewer allows for fast location of team members within their company. New sharing components speeds the rate at which information is circulated through the teams.
- Enterprise Mashups: Business users and developers can work together using the tool of their choice. Developers can use JDeveloper to produce data controls, Business users can leverage Oracle WebCenter Composer to mash them up with other components to quickly create the dashboard of information they need to run their business. The new Pagelet Producer (formerly Ensemble) creates mashable components from any site and then easily publishes them to the Business Dictionary for enterprise wide reuse.
- Content Management: Direct usage of the new release of Oracle UCM 11g from item level security, to attaching and approving workflow, the new release of WebCenter takes direct advantage of the strengths of UCM. Wikis & Blogs are managed directly as UCM content so that they can leverage all the core features of the ECM platform for sealing, records management, and eDiscovery. The new Content Presenter component can take advantage of the Web Content Management templates directly to show off content as it was meant to be displayed. And the new version of Document Library leverages the UCM services to render content directly in place so that office productivity applications aren't required to view and review any type of content.
- Personalization: The WebCenter Personalization Server allows for dynamic delivery of content, information, and experiences to provide a personalized view to any user. By leveraging the new open architecture, any information about the user can be used to drive the personalization experience. By creating scenarios that leverage these user attributes from a unified user profile, the entire look and feel, branding, services available, along with processes and information can be targeted to adapt to any user.
- Search & Discovery: Direct Oracle Secure Enterprise Search crawlers for all WebCenter content is further refined by leveraging the activity streams. Users can comment and "like" different items within the system and then these ratings/rankings get used to recommend new content and people that might be able to help them. The integration with Oracle Applications allows for these activity streams to be turned into Business Activity Streams.
- Desktop Integration & Mobile: Enhanced office productivity integration enables users to directly edit documents and presentations. The new Outlook plug-in will allow users to move long email threads into managed discussions and move attachments into versioned content assets. A new release of the WebCenter iPhone application is available on the Apple Store as well.
- Analytics & Management: A complete set of web analytics services and dashboards have been added. New Analytics Dashboards come with every new WebCenter Spaces site for moderators and administrators. Over 50 different pre-built reports are provided along with data controls that can be used directly with the Business Mashup tools. Direct integration with Oracle Enterprise Manager for complete oversight of the entire running system has been further enhanced. The new propagation tools enable developers and operational staff to push out just the new changes to Test and Production systems. All changes are managed and versioned for easy tracking. A new set of administration scripts enable developers to automate the build and delivery of their extranet portals and sites.
Oracle WebCenter Suite 11gR1 PS3 Downloads & Documentation:
- Download directly from Oracle Technology Network (OTN).