An Oracle Technology Solution for Transportation Agencies
By Michael Snow on Jun 06, 2013
Transportation Agencies face key challenges and market forces that drive the
Persistent price wars. Evolving safety, security, and financial regulations. Demand for 24/7 systems availability. To meet all of your business challenges, Oracle's Technology Solutions for Travel and Transportation deliver a powerful combination of technology and business processes. Only Oracle powers the information-driven enterprise by offering a unified data model to integrate information over a wide geographical area and across multiple business units.
What’s Driving the Need for Oracle Technology Solutions at Transportation Agencies?
Transportation agencies face the following key challenges and market forces that are driving the need for Oracle technology solutions:
- Management of Unstructured Content. Transportation agencies are flooded with content used in the daily processes of running an organization. Content— such as real estate transactions related to right of way, project proposals, design specifications, scope of work documents, and contracts and RFIs from ongoing projects—is created and, for the most part, stored is disparate systems that are not always interconnected to one another. Multimedia assets such as images and videos require a scalable architecture that will maintain performance as the repository grows.
|"Transport for London Optimizes Management of US$59 Billion Project Portfolio While Cutting Overhead
"Consolidating project management data with Oracle’s Primavera Portfolio Management keeps our Investment Programme on track, while delivering maximum value to travelers and tax payers."
– David Hartley, Investment Programme Management Office, Transport for London
- Collaboration Between Internal Staff and Contractors. To manage and access content across the project lifecycle, agencies require collaboration for archival, redlining, and retrieval of content—such as e-mail, digital video, engineering drawings, proposals, and survey records.
- Lack of Comprehensive Records Management. To support regulatory compliance (for example, safety or finance) and eDiscovery (electronic discovery under Federal Rules of Civil Procedure), agencies need to be able to efficiently access and compile all historical documents, design plans, and images needed to support litigation.
- Accountability, Transparency, and Effective Stewardship of Tax Dollars. Agencies can improve their accountability, transparency, and stewardship by providing simplified Web interfaces that offer access to the agency’s public content, activity, and performance measures. For example, an agency can provide access to maps and content demonstrating its sound environmental practices, or how it’s allocating funds in accordance with the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
- 360-degree View of Projects. Agencies benefit from a single solution that can manage projects of any size, adapt to various levels of complexities within a project, and intelligently scale to meet the needs of various roles, functions, or skill levels in an organization and on a project team.
- Complete Business Intelligence. Oracle’s technology solutions provide relevant insight to everyone in an organization through interactive dashboards, ad hoc queries, notifications and alerts, enterprise and financial reporting, scorecard and strategy management. This results in improved decision-making, better-informed actions, and more efficient business processes.
|“Thanks to Oracle technologies and our virtual desk project, we will be
able to offer all agents a personalized workspace tailored to their job.
In the back office, this architecture will allow us to standardize our
suite of applications and cut our maintenance costs by 50%.”
– Jean Pierre Desbenoit, Deputy Head of IT Systems and Modernization, Direction Generale de l’Aviation Civile
Technology Solution Breakdown
- Oracle Database – Back-end repository, spatial
- Oracle WebCenter – Unstructured content, records management, social and collaboration, Web experience management, next-generation user experience, and portal
- Oracle Business Intelligence – Includes reporting, dashboards, and drill-downs
- Oracle’s Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Oracle Autovue – View, redline, and collaborate on various document types, including CAD
- Industry standards-based technology allowing for ease of integration with existing technology investments
- Complete and integrated stack of technologies for collaboration, Web content management, document management, records management, wikis,
- and blogs
- Data management platform able to view structured and unstructured data types, including CAD
- Map integration, interactive map-based content search, and content search results displayed on an interactive map
- Ability to centrally manage records in disparate locations: file system, SharePoint, content server, physical records
Only Oracle delivers a complete platform of database, middleware, applications, servers, and storage—all based on open standards—to transform transportation agencies.
Oracle Transportation Management: