By Peggy Chen on Mar 07, 2012
Microsoft SharePoint and Oracle WebCenter are two popular platforms
for collaboration, content management, composite applications, and
portals for companies of all sizes. For those fully-committed to Microsoft’s server and desktop infrastructure, using SharePoint 2010 for basic collaboration and document sharing workloads can be a modest incremental investment—particularly if the focus is on implementing “out of the box” capabilities of SharePoint. But what about for companies deploying more advanced user engagement capabilities, specifically where integration with enterprise applications was required?
Leading market research firm InfoTrends researched this scenario through customer interviews and found that the long term SharePoint costs grow from incremental to potentially prohibitive based on higher than expected costs for third-party add-on software, migrations from previous versions of SharePoint, development and integration, as well as ongoing management and administration.
“We knew SharePoint integration was going to be expensive, but we far under-estimated what it would cost because ‘we didn’t know what we didn’t know’ going into it. Also, we are finding a growing need to tie in a number of different enterprise applications to achieve the business processes we want for us and our partners," says the CIO of a US defense contractor.
In fact, research shows that over three years, the cost of SharePoint 2010 licensing is just over 5% of the total cost with the remaining 95% represented by the aforementioned categories.
In contrast, Oracle WebCenter provides a more comprehensive and cost-effective solution to enable users to engage and collaborate on content and enterprise application data within business processes and activities.
“We’ve chosen WebCenter for our external facing deployments because it provides so much more in terms of capability than SharePoint. We have a substantial internal deployment of SharePoint 2007 for basic collaboration and document sharing…and even if were able to upgrade to 2010 for free, it still didn’t make sense for our customer and partner facing portals,” says an IT manager at a leading security software provider.
InfoTrends research shows that Oracle WebCentercan provide a lower and more predictable overall cost profile over time compared to SharePoint 2010 because it offers:
- More advanced native capabilities
- Fewer software prerequisites
- Pre-built enterprise connectivity
- Less human-intensive administration
Want more details on what InfoTrends discovered and what customers are saying? Download and read the SharePoint 2010 Cost of Ownership: Expect the Unexpected white paper today, and discover how Oracle WebCentercan significantly lower TCO for user engagement solutions.