By was on May 23, 2007
Sometimes, even google can't help.
I got a new wireless router, and simultaneously decided to switch from DSL to Cable. Yay! Sort of... DSL has been a nightmare for me lately - I've had an incredible amount of downtime, resulting in a working connection at \*128k\* downlink. Great. ISDN was faster. And cheaper! Really a sore point for me, and now the DSL company wants me to spend another 6 hours debugging their stupid line. Heck, I'll pay the cancellation fee.
So I switched to cable. One thing I'd like to say is that it was incredibly easy to switch from DSL. Other than waiting a week from the install request to the actual install, and when I had an 8am-noon appt window, the guy shows up on my doorstep at \*noon\*. Other than that, WOW. Installed and running in 20 minutes including running a new cable under my house, drilling a hole in the floor and figuring out the rats nest of wiring under my desk... That went so well, I added in a new DLINK DIR-655 Extreme-N router/wireless hub.
Everything was dandy. I dutifully read their docs, put the CD in the drive and like a fool installed Network Magic. Uh oh. Should have known better. Never read the directions, never follow instructions... You fool!
I ended up not being able to see the router, and when I did, I got incomplete web pages. Tried googling. Nothing. Seriously, one other person had a similar error. Reset the modem. Twice. Even called tech support (oh the shame!).
Removed all wiring, software, changed ethernet ports on pc (don't ask) plugged PC back into router directly. Restarted everything. Turned off windoze firewall (don't ask I said!) and presto. I got to the router. Updated the firmware, did all configuration, messed around a bit more and then plugged in the cable modem. Still good.
Just goes to show you (a) google doesn't have all the answers and (b) never, ever follow documentation for consumer level products. Enterprise level stuff, well that's another matter for another blog entry...