Maintaining more than 350 machines of varying types with 3 ops people is challenging - but doable if you have the right tools. JASS - the Solaris Security toolkit is one of the tools we use all the time. With some up front configuration, you can rebuild machines completely hands off, and assure that you have a secure build. If you haven't looked at JASS yet, take a peek, take a test drive and enjoy. It's allowed my organization to be one of the most efficient ones in Sun - deploying servers fully configured, fully secure in less than an hour (4 if you include unboxing, transporting them to the cage, racking them, wiring them, routing the cables & stopping at starbucks)
- Virtual chassis or big core switch?
- Driving to Manteca
- A new job, while keeping the old one...
- How many times can we learn the same lesson
- Loosely coupled systems are better
- Scripting storage (amber road aka fishworks)
- First Look at Amber Road (Sun 7000 unified storage system)
- Sun Storage 7000 Unified Storage Systems...
- Building out more datacenter space
- Space shuttle launch from passing airliner