New OpenJDK platform?
By Weijun-Oracle on Dec 04, 2007
If someone wants to support a platform. What should be the process?
- He creates his own repository, start coding, report progress on some OpenJDK mail list.
- He may start distributing it now, but...
- If some other guys also think this is important (serious), they may together request a new group inside OpenJDK be established
- If the request is approved, the guy gets the chance to create a branch on the main OpenJDK source repo server. Otherwise, go back to 2.
- It's a branch and while its maintainer can merge changesets from other repo. Other repo (mainly, the MASTER repo) won't merge from it, until...
- It's important enough to be included as an official build (currently there are 8). Then...
- If it includes quite a lot of different codes from the main repo, there'll be a platform sub-directory for it created inside
jdk/src/[platform]/. Otherwise, it's merged into an existing sub-directory (currently, there's
solaris(soon to be renamed to
windows). For example, some minor updates to IBM AIX flavor of Unix will be coded into the main posix source with a few