Why Second Life for Sun?
By Fiona Gallagher on Nov 24, 2007
Sun's presense in the virtual world Second Life is expanding and growing by the day - both public facing activitiy and employee only activity.
This is the first entry to our Virtual Worlds blog, including Second Life, where we plan to share the following and get feedback and ideas from the community - YOU!
- Our thoughts about Second Life
- Business value of Second Life for Sun
- Lessons learned from experiences in Second Life
- Share experiences from events Sun is holding
- Talk about new and interesting partnerships being formed between Sun and others in Second Life
- Have fun and keep the enthusiasm and ideas for this exploding environment going!
- Insights into virtual world technology - including Sun's MPK20/Darkstar/Wonderland initiatives
So...this first entry let me just tell you a little about Sun's play in Second Life so far - just to set the stage for our future discussions.
We currently have 6 islands in Second Life (visit by searching in Second Life for Sun Microsystems):
- Showcase of Sun's technology and solutions with virtual products, product information and a link back to sun.com for more information. There is a building dedicated to Java, another for developers (where developer chats are frequently held) and a main theater that is used for product launches, keynotes and larger events.
- Dedicated area for Suns' eco responsibility initatives, library consisting of an SMI Press Bookstore and soon to include much more knowledge based resources, two classrooms and an area dedicated to high performance and virtualization solutions. In addition, this second island includes a sandbox where people can practice building and scripting. The sandbox is a way for us to give back to the Second Life community. But, we can't forget the fun socializing part - on this space is also Club Java where we have a live DJ twice a month to allow for employees and customers to come together to chat and have fun!
- For Employees Only - the third island is a restricted space for Sun employees. We'll talk more about what we are doing here in furture entries.
- A replica of Las Vegas for Sun's Customer Engineering Conference 2007. We'll also talk more about our lessons learned from this large employee only event soon and include pictures. You can take a look at our CEC Group on Facebook for photos as well.
- Space for employee projects.
- Currently in development but will be another public space.
Future entries will be lots of fun - but we wanted to start with the layout of Sun's current focus and energies in this exciting and growing/exploding environment. Here is Sun's mission regarding Second Life - as stated in the Sun Executive Offices in Second Life: