Thursday Jul 09, 2009
Tuesday Jun 23, 2009
By ckamps on Jun 23, 2009
This prototype image contains a reduced footprint, pre-installed form of the OpenSolaris 2008.11 distribution available for a variety of virtualization platforms. It is intended to complement the existing, desktop-oriented Live Media form of OpenSolaris by providing a headless server installation.
The image is primarily geared toward server side application developers who need a lightweight installation of the advanced OpenSolaris operating system as a starting point to build their own application-specific images. Since it's a proper subset of the OpenSolaris distribution delivered by Sun Microsystems, it's easy for developers to produce their own custom images by adding and removing packages using the pkg(1) command line interface.
Download and learn more about the JeOS image.
- OpenSolaris 2009.06 JeOS Prototype: Rudolf Kutina is busy putting together an OpenSolaris 2009.06 iteration of the JeOS prototype. See Rudolf's VirtualGuru blog for background on the creation of the JeOS images and a wide array of technical information about virtualization platforms.
- Establishing JeOS Project in OpenSolaris: We're working with the OpenSolaris Installation and Packaging community to establish a JeOS project. Creation of this project was recently approved by that community.
News and information about application oriented, ready to deploy virtual machine images for desktop, enterprise and cloud virtualization platforms.
- VM template assembly details: Step 6/7 - Convert and compress the VM
- VM template assembly details: Step 4/5 - Clean-up and finalize the template
- VM template assembly details: Step 2/3 - Add layered SW and template internals
- OpenSolaris for building VM templates?
- VM template assembly details: Step 1 - Create JeOS Instance
- Web Space Server VM Template on Get It! Page
- VM template assembly process at glance
- OpenSolaris 2008.11 JeOS Prototype Released
- Virtual Machine (VM) template technical design
- Build your own Virtual Machine (VM) template