Internet over CDMA for the best operating system
By vita78 on II 22, 2007
To make an internet connection on Solaris laptop easy, I've prepared a support package. It is provided "as is". Use at your own risk. If you want to accept and continue, you will need:
- valid contract to be able to use internet over CDMA in Czech Republic
- a x86 computer running Solaris OS, preferably some latest OpenSolaris based distribution like Solaris Express
- an usb CDMA modem either older GTRAN or AnyDATA
- package VTBcdmacz.pkg
- optional experimental package VTBcdmafil.pkg with filtering module, which blocks sending of packets with source ip address other than assigned one. Such an action is usually followed by immediate disconnect by ISP. (requires Solaris Express build > 60).
- credentials for your connections: user(mobile number) and password, which you will get with the modem
The procedure is easy, install the package and use
/usr/sbin/cdmactl, which is an user interface for setting up the connection and controlling it (it's a simple perl script). Here is an example:
# ### Install the package from the internet or local copy: # pkgadd -d http://blogs.sun.com/vita78/resource/cdma_052007/VTBcdmacz.pkg # ### Configure your account, check the system and go online # /usr/sbin/cdmactl configure # /usr/sbin/cdmactl check # /usr/sbin/cdmactl start
What commands does
cdmactl configure- setup the configuration, will ask for your credentials and write the configuration files for pppd daemon.
cdmactl check- to make sure things are working correctly, correct any defects it will find
cdmactl start- connect to the internet, once you have configured your system and ensured it is ready, this command enables the connection to the internet. You can monitor the activity with
pgrep -l cdmaand
tail -f /var/adm/messages.
cdmactl stop- disconnect from the internet
cdmactl signal- monitor the signal quality. To find a good place where the modem or antenna will have a signal and the connection will work at best, you can try this experimental feature, which is available only for AnyDATA modem.