Friday May 23, 2014
Friday Jun 07, 2013
By Chris Kawalek-Oracle on Jun 07, 2013
Happy Friday, everyone!
Our tip this week answers a question that comes up often.
When deploying Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, how many users can a single server support?
Answer from information in the Oracle's Single Server Solution for VDI white paper:
As part of a single server solution (meaning, the hypervisor, storage, and management pieces are all on one machine and no other systems are necessary), Oracle tested two different configurations and came up with a guideline for how many users these systems can support. Please remember, this is just a guideline and not a guarantee or assurance of performance.
Configuration #1 (this is called the "base configuration" in the paper):
- Sun Server X3-2L based on Intel Xeon E5 2660 processors
- 128 GB 1600 MHz RAM (expandable to 512 GB)
- 16 x 600G SAS-2 10K RPM disks
- Based on a customized “Large” configuration on the Oracle store
- Targeted at 90-95 users per system
Configuration #2 (this is called the "performance configuration" in the paper):
- Sun Server X3-2L based on Intel Xeon E5 2690 processors
- 256 GB 1600 MHz RAM (expandable to 512 GB)
- 26 x 600G SAS-2 10K RPM disks
- Offered as “Large” configuration on the Oracle store
- Targeted at 180-190 users per system
If you'd like to get some more detail on this, head on over to the Oracle's Single Server Solution for VDI white paper for a lot more info.
We'll see you next week!
Get the latest scoop on products, strategy, events, news, and more, from Oracle's virtualization experts
- Friday Spotlight: Announcing Weblogic 12.1.3 templates for Oracle VM Server for SPARC
- Friday Spotlight: Resource to Plan Business Continuity with Oracle VM
- Friday Spotlight: Oracle VM Windows PV Drivers 3.2.3 Signed by Microsoft
- Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.0.2 Available
- Friday Spotlight: Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel Release 3 Quarterly Update 6 for Oracle VM 3.3
- Oracle is Hiring an OpenStack Curriculum Developer
- Wim Coekaerts is Keynote speaker at LinuxCon North America
- Oracle is Sponsoring LinuxCon North America
- Friday Spotlight: The July 2015 Oracle Virtualization Newsletter is Now Available
- Book Oracle Private Cloud Appliance Training Now