By Honglin Su-Oracle on Oct 31, 2014
In the previous blog, we announced that the new virtualization plug-in (18.104.22.168.0) for Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control was available. With the latest virtualization plug-in update, Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c works seamlessly with Oracle VM Manager 3.3. In today's blog, Daniel Ritzman, Principal Best Practices Consultant from Oracle VM product management team, covers how to use the new plug-in to enable Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c to manage an Oracle VM 3.3 installation.
There are two ways to acquire the latest plug-in versions. You can download the plug-in from OTN or use software update from within Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.
Step I. (Option one) Download with Self Update
To enable and download using Software Update the following documentation can be used.
If you have already enabled software update, go to Setup->Extensibility->Self Update and click the Check Updates:
In the Setup->Extensibility-Plug-ins, the new version of the plug-in will be available and can be downloaded:
Step I. (Option two) Download from OTN
To download from OTN, follow this link:
You can now download the plug-in from OTN using the following link and drilling down to path 1.
(38,843,237 bytes, cksum 3401906902)
|Plug-in to enable Oracle VM virtualization management capabilities in Oracle Enterprise Manager.||25-Sep-14|
1. In the download directory you will have a zip file which can be transferred to the OMS system and unzipped.
# ls *zip
# unzip *zip
2. As the oracle user use emcli on the OMS to import the plug-in update opar
% emcli login -username=sysman
% emcli import_update -file=/var/tmp/22.214.171.124.0_oracle.sysman.vt_2000_0.opar –omslocal
Processing update: Plug-in
Successfully uploaded the update to Enterprise Manager. Use the Self Update Console to manage this update.
Step II. Applying the downloaded plug-in update to OMS
The following procedures will be the same regardless of which option you used above for getting the new plug-in update.
1. In the Setup -> Extensibility-> Self Update select the plug-in section
a. Verify the vt plug-in has the status Downloaded.
2. In Setup -> Extensibility-> Plug-in
a. Use View -> plug-in -> 'only downloaded' to identify only the update which need to be applied.
b. Select the VT plug-in and deploy on OMS
i. providing the requested SYS credentials
ii. confirm that you have backed up the repository and launch the job (Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c will restart)
Step III. Deploy the update to the agent
Next you will need to deploy the plug-in update to the agent where you will manage your Oracle VM.
This can be any agent which can connect to the Oracle VM console, and can be on the Oracle VM manager host itself.
1. In the Setup -> Extensibility -> Plug-in page
a. Select the VT plug-in from the expanded "Servers, Storage and Network" section.
b. Select Deploy On -> Management Agent…
c. In the Deploy Plug-in on Management Agent pop-up select the version to deploy (defaults to latest) and continue
d. Select the management agent to deploy the plug-in
e. Verify the agent has met the prerequisite checks and select Next
f. Select Deploy in the review page
Step IV. Configure authentication certs for the agent
In previous version of the plug-in only the tcps cert needed to be added to the Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c agent truststore. For managing Oracle VM 3.3, the weblogic cert will need to be added instead. The complete Oracle Enterprise Manager documentation for this can be found at the following link.
1. Export the weblogic cert to a file using the ovmkeytool.sh provided with your Oracle VM 3.3 installation
# /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/ovm_upgrade/bin/ovmkeytool.sh exportca > /var/tmp/new_cert_from_ovmkeytool.cert3
2. Transfer the cert file to the Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c agent host (if they are not the same host)
# scp /var/tmp/new_cert_from_ovmkeytool.cert3 firstname.lastname@example.org:/var/tmp/new_cert_from_ovmkeytool.cert3
new_cert_from_ovmkeytool.cert3 100% 1503 1.5KB/s 00:00
3. Remove first line from the cert file if it exists
a. The first line of the file should be the “-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----“ line
b. use vi or other text editor to remove the line.
c. The following is an example of a file which needs the first line removed (in red)
# head -3 /var/tmp/new_cert_from_ovmkeytool.cert3
libdir is /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/ovm_upgrade/bin/../lib
4. Import the cert into the agent trust store using emctl as the oracle user
./bin/emctl secure add_trust_cert_to_jks -trust_certs_loc /var/tmp/new_cert_from_ovmkeytool.cert3
Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Release 4
Copyright (c) 1996, 2014 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Message : Certificate was added to keystore
Step V. Register the Oracle VM Manager 3.3 with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
Now we can to register the Oracle VM Manager 3.3 with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c to populate the Infrastructure Cloud tree and allow us to manage the Oracle VM environment from Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.
- In the Enterprise->Cloud->Oracle VM Infrastructure home window
- In the Infrastructure Cloud menu (pictured below) select Register Oracle VM Manager
- In the register Oracle VM Manager page provide the following details
- Name: Display name for the Oracle VM manager in Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.
- Monitoring Agent: This is the agent above where the plug-in was deployed and the cert imported.
- Connection URLS: These will be the URLs on the Oracle VM Manager host.
- Monitoring Credentials: This will be the user and password on the Oracle VM application
- Select Submit
- Verify the launched registration job is successful.
Now you Oracle VM Manager 3.3 has been registered with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.