By Simon Coter-Oracle on Jan 27, 2017
Oracle products are engineered and tested to work together, providing distinct advantages when running Oracle Database and Oracle Application workloads on Oracle VM guests. That’s why Oracle deploys Oracle VM to support and certify virtualized implementations of Oracle Applications and Oracle Database, Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) included.
Oracle RAC is a cluster database with a shared cache architecture that provides highly scalable and available database solutions for your business applications. Oracle RAC has evolved over the years and, on top of Oracle VM, can be used as the foundation of a Database Cloud Solution for the applications in your data center.
Engineered for open cloud infrastructure, Oracle VM is a platform that provides a fully-equipped environment to better leverage the benefits of virtualization technology. Oracle VM enables deployment of operating systems and application software within a supported virtualization environment. Oracle VM complements the foundation of a Database Cloud Solution by providing an Oracle RAC certified virtualization environment.
The combination of Oracle VM and Oracle RAC enables:
- Better server consolidation: Oracle RAC databases with underutilized CPU resources or peaky CPU utilization can be consolidated with other similar workloads
- Sub-capacity licensing
- Rapid provisioning: with the Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database you can build an Oracle RAC architecture in hours instead of days
The combination of Oracle VM and Oracle RAC provides the cloud-ready architecture to consolidate data center infrastructure and, at the same time, provide the fastest provisioning technology for Oracle Database deployment thanks to Oracle VM Templates.
For x86-64 hardware platforms, Oracle VM is the only software-based virtualization solution that is fully certified for Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux.
To support strategic business applications, many Oracle Database workloads demand 24/7 continuity, requiring transaction failover. Oracle VM is the server virtualization technology that is fully certified for all Oracle products (including Oracle RAC) with Oracle hardware and software, providing an optimal virtualization solution for mission-critical Oracle Database deployments.
In cases where Oracle RAC is deployed on servers with low CPU utilization, Oracle VM enables workload consolidation and more efficient resource use. The Oracle VM administrator can define resource limits for each guest VM, designating specific resources for each Oracle RAC node. This is essentially how Oracle VM facilitates hard partitioning of CPU resources, which limits virtual CPUs and associated cores to the use of a particular VM guest.
Read the new "Oracle Real Application Clusters on Oracle VM Environments" for all the best practices and details you need to know to correctly deploy Oracle RAC on top of Oracle VM Environments. You'll learn about:
- The latest technology available (Oracle RAC, Oracle RAC One-node, Oracle VM, Extended RAC ...)
- Business continuity, high availability and scalability concepts
- Hardware and software requirements
- Best practices for CPU, memory, storage and network
- Automated installation using Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database
- Live-migration and Oracle Database relocation examples
- References to technical documents for further details
Don't miss the new Oracle WhitePaper: "Oracle Real Application Clusters on Oracle VM Environments".