Oracle has just released Solaris 11.4 Open Beta Release refresh 2, described here. The beta refresh includes Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.6, which provides improved functionality over the current release by adding:
- The new 'ldmconsole' command, which simplifies secure access to guest domain virtual consoles.
- Improved Time Of Day clock handling, to provide consistent clock values over live migration by adjusting for migration and suspend times.
- The virtual SCSI Host Bus Adapter (vHBA) feature is enhanced to provide device masking, which enables the administrator to configure a virtual Storage Area Network (vSAN) device with an explicit set of SCSI devices. This provides better control of domain visibility to virtual SAN devices, while maintaining compatibility and full access to device features.
- Virtual networking enhancements:
- DLMP (Datalink Multipathing) aggregation support for virtual network devices. DLMP aggregations allow failover between multiple switches without requiring vendor-proprietary extensions, and improve performance and resilience for guest domain networking
- Improved visibility in the 'ldm list netstat' command
- Improved SR-IOV feature to both create multiple Virtual Functions (VFs) and name them in the same command.
- Enhanced 'ovmtutils' template utilities, deprecates SHA-1 in 'ovmtcreate' command, supports multiple encryption algorithms in the same template, and permits clearing domain properties in 'ovmtconfig' command.
- Removal of support for MAU (Modular Arithmetic Unit) for old T1-T3 servers that are no longer supported.
- Removal of ldm power management
Several of these items will be described in detail in followup blogs that will be published in the next few days. Watch this space!