Today we are pleased to announce that Logical Domains (LDoms) 1.0.1, bringing customers greater benefits in reliability, security and manageability, has been released and is freely available for customer download at NO EXTRA COST.
Logical Domains (http://www.sun.com/ldoms) is Sun's server virtualization and partitioning technology, and a key element of Sun xVM Infrastructure on Sun servers with CoolThreads technology. LDoms software leverages the hypervisor to subdivide supported platforms' resources (CPUs, memory, I/O, and storage) by creating partitions called logical or virtual domains. Each logical domain can run an independent operating system. Specialized control domain allow the management of these resources using the Logical Domains Manager.
LDoms technology is supported on Sun servers which utilize UltraSPARC T1 and UltraSPARC T2 processors. Currently the following servers are supported by LDoms 1.0.1:
- Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 Server
- Sun SPARC Enterprise T5220 Server
- Sun SPARC Enterprise T1000 Server
- Sun SPARC Enterprise T2000 Server
- Sun Fire T1000 Server
- Sun Fire T2000 Server
- Sun Blade T6300 Server Module
- Sun Blade T6320 Server Module
- Netra T2000 Server
- Netra CP3060 Blade
The following key components work together to deliver the LDoms 1.0.1 technology, and they are all available for download now:
- Minimum level of Sun System Firmware 6.5 for UltraSPARC T1 systems; Sun System Firmware 7.0 at a minimum is required for UltraSPARC T2 systems.
- Operating system that understands the sun4v platform and virtual devices. Currently it's Solaris 10 11/06 OS plus required patches. In addition, Solaris 10 8/07 OS is required to run in the primary domain of UltraSPARC T2 systems. Please reference the Logical Domains (LDoms) 1.0.1 Administration Guide and visit http://sunsolve.sun.com to obtain required patches and upgrade procedure from LDoms 1.0.
- Logical Domains Manager 1.0.1 software that is used to create and manage logical domains on CoolThreads servers.
KEY NEW FEATURES/BENEFITS
The LDoms technology provides system administrators the ability to create and manage logical domains; virtualize resources; create communications channels; and define network, storage, and other I/O devices as services able to be shared from one domain to another.
In addition to all the functionality introduced in LDoms 1.0, LDoms 1.0.1 brings customers greater benefits on reliability, security and manageability. Some key enhancements are:
- Reliability differentiator for SPARC CMT virtualization
- With LDoms 1.0.1, any domains, whether it's a guest domain or a primary domain, are independent virtual machines and they can be configured, started or stopped independently without requiring a power-cycle of machine.
- UltraSPARC T2 platforms support (32 domains support at initial release, 64 domains support following)
- In addition to UltraSPARC T2, LDoms 1.0.1 supports all the current UltraSPARC T1 platforms.
- LDoms MIB
- The Logical Domains MIB (management information base) is delivered as an extension module to the System Management Agent of Solaris 10 running in the control domain. The LDoms MIB helps enable third party system management applications to perform remote monitoring and starting and stopping logical domains using the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
- Domain minimization support
- Minimal/reduced Solaris installation for higher security and ease of maintenance.
- LDoms Browser User Interface (web console, unsupported freeware)
LICENSE AND SUPPORT
There's no additional license cost to use and deploy Logical Domains 1.0.1. Sun System Packs or Sun System Service Plans (SunSpectrum) are required for support. http://sunsolve.sun.com