Creating a private cloud with Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager
By Ronen Kofman on Aug 14, 2013
Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c used together offer a complete, top to bottom, cloud solution. With Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c (OEM) the user can control everything from provisioning an Oracle VM server through configuration of the virtual environment and all the way to metering and chargeback. And most importantly, all these capabilities are available as part of the Oracle VM support for no extra charge!
For users who have already deployed Oracle VM, adding OEM does not require any changes to the existing environment. The user can take an existing Oracle VM deployment, point OEM to it and from that point on all the functionality available in Oracle VM Manager is also available from OEM. If the user chooses to go back to Oracle VM Manager or temporarily use it for any other reason, he/she can do that at any point in time.
So, if you have not yet taken the time to look at what Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c can add to your Oracle VM deployment we gathered some resources to help you get started:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c demo series for creating private cloud – this series of 3 short videos takes the user through all the steps for building a private cloud:
- White papers and other resources:
- You can also see several examples that were done with some of our customers:
- GE Healthcare – deploying Siebel environment through self service portal
- Lawrence Livermore National Labs – rapid provisioning and centralized monitoring
- Pythian Labs – Demo of using private cloud
- Dell – Kai Yu, Dell Oracle Solution Engineering demonstrates how to create private cloud and deploy Assemblies
- dcVAST – video about private cloud deployment
- dcVAST - whitepaper about creating private cloud with Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- And some more useful resources:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c home page
- Cloud Management with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c on OTN- Good collection of presentations, white papers and other resources
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Documentation Page
Oracle Open World is right around the corner, there we will have several sessions and hands on labs on how to deploy a private cloud using Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager. You are also welcome to meet the Oracle teams in person at the demo grounds where we will be happy to walk you through a live demo and answer questions.