Announcing Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.1 Release
By Honglin Su-Oracle on Aug 20, 2013
See the key features and benefits delivered in Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.1:
- Virtual network performance improvements: Significantly improve the virtual networking performance up to 5 times faster. For example, guest to external network approaches wire-speed at ~9Gb/s; while for the guest to guest within the same host, it's measured up to 16Gb/s. For more details, read the blog.
Dynamic Single-Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV): Bringing configuration flexibility to I/O virtualization with native I/O throughput. For more details, read the blog.
- Cross-CPU secure live migration enhancements: Perform secure live migration across different generations of SPARC servers, including the new SPARC T5 and SPARC M5. For more details, read the blog.
- Extends the Direct I/O and SR-IOV features to non-Primary root domains. For more details, read the blog.
- Adds InfiniBand device support to the SR-IOV feature in addition to the Ethernet devices.
- Adds the Fault Management Architecture (FMA) blacklisting feature. When FMA detects faulty CPU or memory resources, Oracle VM Server for SPARC places them on a blacklist. A faulty resource that is on the blacklist cannot be reassigned to any domains until FMA marks it as being repaired.
- Adds a recovery mode feature that automatically recovers domain configurations that cannot be booted because of faulty or missing resources.
- Adds the ldmpower command to show per-domain, power-consumption information.
- Adds support for VNICs on virtual networks.
Oracle Premier Support for Systems provides fully-integrated support for your server hardware, firmware, OS, and virtualization software. Visit oracle.com/support for information about Oracle's support offerings for Sun systems.
For additional resources about Oracle VM Server for SPARC
- Review the Oracle VM Server for SPARC white papers
- Attend the training course offered by Oracle University: Oracle VM Server for SPARC: Installation and Configuration
- Read the blogs from our experts and engage with OTN discussion forums by visiting the community page