Announcing Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.2 Release
By Honglin Su-Oracle on May 24, 2012
We are excited to announce Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.2, the latest release of Oracle’s enterprise-class server virtualization solution. The new release delivers significant enhancements that improve workload agility and performance, maximize the availability of business-critical applications, and increase flexibility in provisioning and deployment. Oracle VM Server for SPARC takes advantage of the massive thread scale offered by SPARC T-Series servers and the Oracle Solaris operating system.
See the key features and benefits delivered in Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.2:
- Secure live migration is now available across different generations of SPARC T-Series servers for flexibility
of workload deployment and migration. Customers continue to benefit
from their existing investment as they add SPARC T4 servers into the
environment for increased capacity with minimal downtime or disruption to
their operation. Secure live
migrations are as simple as point and click using Oracle Enterprise
Manager Ops Center’s console. Read more about Cross-CPU Secure Live Migration here and watch a video demo.
Single-Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) delivers superior I/O throughput to guest domains that have SR-IOV on Oracle's SPARC T4 and SPARC T3 platforms. SR-IOV enables the efficient sharing of PCIe network devices among I/O domains so application workloads can achieve native I/O performance. Read more about SR-IOV feature and SR-IOV Virtual Function (VF).
- Integrated optimization with SPARC T-Series servers, especially for SPARC T4 and SPARC SuperCluster T4-4, provides administrators with fine-grained control of
server resources and the ability to tailor CPU performance across business-critical enterprise workloads
for better throughput. Read more about whole core allocation enhancements here.
- There are more PCIe cards qualified to support Direct I/O feature - assigning individual PCIe cards to a guest domain to achieve native I/O throughput. For an up-to-date list of supported PCIe cards, see My Oracle Support Doc 1325454.1: Oracle VM Server for SPARC Direct I/O Feature.
- Additional new features at What's New
Please review the Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.2 Documentation for specific details of required and minimum software and supported platforms. Visit the download page for instructions to download the required software.
Oracle Premier Support for Systems provides fully-integrated support for your server hardware, firmware, OS, and virtualization software. Visit oracle.com/support for information about Oracle's support offerings for Sun systems.
For additional resources about Oracle VM Server for SPARC
- Tune into the webcast: Increasing Business Agility with Oracle VM Server for SPARC
- Review the Oracle VM Server for SPARC white papers
- Attend the training course offered by Oracle University: Oracle VM Server for SPARC Administration
- Read the blogs from our experts and engage with OTN discussion forums by visiting the community page