Announcing Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.1
By Honglin Su on Jun 08, 2011
We are excited to announce the latest Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.1 release, which brings live migration capabilities to the SPARC T-series server family, including SPARC T3, UltraSPARC T2 Plus and UltraSPARC T2 based servers, allowing customers to quickly and easily migrate running domains from one physical server to another, eliminating application outages and server downtime.
This release continues to deliver new innovations in virtualization for Oracle Solaris and its SPARC servers, offers customers a new level of flexibility in efficiently
deploying enterprise workloads on the SPARC T-series family of systems.
- Live migration: Enables users to migrate an active domain to another host machine while maintaining application services to users. Live migrations are as simple as point and click using Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center’s console.
- Secure, encrypted migration included: On-chip cryptographic accelerators deliver secure, wire speed encryption capabilities for live migration – without any additional hardware investments.
- Dynamic Resource Management (DRM) between domains: Ensures that domains running the most important workloads get priority for CPU access over domains with less critical workloads.
- Increased maximum number of virtual networks per domain: Permits a dramatic increase in external access to domains.
- Lower-overhead, higher scalability networking for Oracle Solaris 11 Express: Allows virtual network devices to use shared memory to exchange network packets, enabling improved performance and scalability.
- Support for Virtual Device Service Validation: Immediately validates the name and path for a specified network device or virtual disk, greatly reducing the risk of incorrectly configured I/O.
- Integrated Dynamic Reconfiguration (DR) of Cryptographic units and virtual CPUs: Cryptographic units and CPUs are dynamically reconfigured together to simplify operations and ensure consistent performance.
- Enhanced Management Information Base (MIB): Enables the SNMP MIB to use the latest Logical Domains Manager XML interface, permitting third party management software to access the new features and resource properties.
- P2V tool enhancements: Bring more flexibility to quickly convert an existing SPARC server running Oracle Solaris 8, 9 or 10 into a virtualized Oracle Solaris image to run on SPARC T-series servers.
Please refer to Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.1 Documentation for specific details of required and minimum software and supported platforms. Visit the download page for instructions to download the required software.
Oracle Premier Support for Systems provides fully-integrated support for your server hardware, firmware, OS, and virtualization software. Visit oracle.com/support for information about Oracle's support offerings for Sun systems.
For additional resources about Oracle VM Server for SPARC
- Review white papers about Oracle VM Server for SPARC
- Attend training course offered by Oracle University: Oracle VM Server for SPARC Administration
- Read the blogs from our experts and engage with community discussions, visit the community page
For more information about Oracle's virtualization, visit oracle.com/virtualization.