By Mohan Prabhala on Apr 30, 2013
Today, we are pleased to announce support for what has been one of Oracle Secure Global Desktop's most widely anticipated features - support for iPad via Oracle Secure Global Desktop version 5.0! Oracle Secure Global Desktop 5.0 provides anywhere access to cloud-hosted and on-premise enterprise applications and desktops (workspaces) from Apple iPad and iPad mini tablets, without the need for a VPN client. In addition, since we leverage HTML5 to provide browser-based access inside Apple iPad and iPad mini tablets, users need not download, maintain, configure and update specific client applications from the App Store.
This new release delivers significant enhancements which provide simple mobile access, enhanced security, full user productivity, security enhancements, session mobility, improved performance and expanded server, client and browser support.
- Simple Mobile Access: Users can login to the Oracle Secure Global Desktop 5.0 sessions and access all of their applications and data using the built-in mobile Safari web browser on iPad and iPad mini, without the need to establish a cumbersome VPN connection. Support for HTML5 enables a rich, browser-based user interface that provides simple, intuitive gestures and navigation, as well as extended keyboard capabilities, without the need for downloading or maintaining separate client applications.
- Full user productivity: For maximum productivity, copy and paste to and from applications, printing, and automatic session resizing (of the specific application or desktop running in the cloud), when rotating the iPad is supported.
- Security enhancements: Oracle Secure Global Desktop Gateway uses multi-factor authentication methods to access applications, increasing security when accessing cloud-hosted applications, regardless of location. With the included Oracle Secure Global Desktop Gateway, users can securely access their workspaces from PCs, laptops, or tablets both inside and outside the corporate firewall.
- Extended session mobility: Extends the session pause and resume feature to the iPad, allowing users to pick up their workspace right where they left off, even when moving from one client device to another.
- Improved performance: Delivers reliable performance and responsiveness for cloud-based applications and desktop sessions, even at cellular network speeds.
- Expanded server, client, and browser support: Oracle Secure Global Desktop 5.0 adds support for servers running Oracle Solaris 11.1 and Oracle Linux 6.4, and clients running Windows 8 (desktop mode) and Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Browsers supported now include Internet Explorer 10, Chrome, and Firefox ESR.
Oracle's press announcement regarding this release can be found here.
For more information, you can also view the videos below (click to go to the video page and play):