By Honglin Su-Oracle on Oct 15, 2014
We are pleased to announce the latest software release 2.0.1 of Oracle's Virtual Compute Appliance. Virtual Compute Appliance (VCA) is an engineered system with integrated and software-defined converged infrastructure designed to radically simplify the way customers install, deploy, and manage converged infrastructures for any Linux, Oracle Solaris, or Microsoft Windows applications on Oracle VM.
The VCA software release 2.0.1 delivers the following enhancements:
- External Storage Support: Oracle VCA storage can be extended by connecting and configuring external storage hardware. This allows customers to provision virtual machines with virtual disks beyond the capacity of the internal storage, and to provide ample disk space for large repositories and for backup and recovery purposes. The storage hardware is connected to the Fabric Interconnects using either InfiniBand or Fibre Channel technology.
- Integrated Command Line Interface: VCA command line utilities are now consolidated into a single command line interface (CLI), which is accessible from the Oracle Linux shell on the management node.
- Management VLAN Support: The VCA management network now supports the use of
- Synchronization Service: A synchronization service has been implemented to allow configurable parameters to be set and maintained across heterogeneous sets of components within an Oracle VCA environment. Throughout the life cycle of the appliance, software updates, capacity extensions and configuration changes will occur at different points in time. The synchronization service is an extensible foundation for any mechanism implemented to eliminate configuration mismatches.
- Provisioning Lock: The Oracle VCA Dashboard allows administrators to temporarily disable compute node provisioning with the click of a button. When provisioning is suspended, maintenance tasks or management node upgrades can be carried out safely.
Please refer to the product page for a complete list features and benefits. For additional resources about VCA:
- Download Virtual Compute Appliance Software Release 2.0.1 from My Oracle Support, search patch ID 19555021.
- Read the documentation for details about the new features and requirements of installation and upgrade.
- Review data sheet (PDF).
Watch Larry Ellison's keynote at Oracle OpenWorld 2014 when he talked about Oracle Cloud, VCA and Oracle Engineered Systems.
For more information about Oracle's virtualization, visit oracle.com/virtualization.