Today, at Oracle OpenWorld, we are pleased to announce Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.0. Oracle VM Server for SPARC allows you to create up to 128 virtual servers on one system to take advantage of the massive thread scale offered by the SPARC T-Series servers. The combination of Oracle Solaris and SPARC helps to increase flexibility, isolate workload processing, and improve the potential for maximum server utilization.
Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.0 delivers:
- Enhanced performance: A low-overhead architecture provides scalable performance under increasing workloads. The performance is further accelerated by the PCIe direct I/O that assigns individual PCI cards to guest domains, removing the restrictions to only assign an entire PCI bus, while also providing native I/O throughput. CPU whole core allocation and core affinity enable organization to optimize the assignment of virtual CPUs to deliver higher and more predictable performance for all types of application workloads.
- Advanced resource management: Dynamic memory reconfiguration allows memory to be added or removed on an active domain. Customers now have the ability to add/remove vCPU, virtual I/O, cryptographic units (aka MAU), and memory on an active domain. These capabilities help organizations to better align IT and business priorities.
- Improved power management: CPU clock speed adjustments, memory power management and power limit settings ensure that energy consumption is optimized with utilization.
- CPU clock speed adjustments - increase or decrease clock speed based on CPU utilization (per socket)
- Memory power management - put under-utilized memory in a deeper idle mode
- Power limit - set a power limit for the system and reduce the power state of manageable resource if the limit is reached.
- Greater flexibility: Oracle Solaris has been optimized for guest domain migration with Oracle VM Server for SPARC, enabling more flexible migration of an active domain.
- Higher availability: Improvements to virtual disk multipathing enhance the availability of a virtualized environment by helping to ensure that the virtual disk failover capabilities can handle I/O domain, storage and storage-path failures. Faster processing of secure data: Oracle VM Server for SPARC takes advantage of SPARC T-Series systems' integrated on-chip cryptographic accelerators that deliver wire speed encryption capabilities, providing customers with critical data and services protection and delivering better response times.
Read What's New for further details.
Attend the session:
Meet with Oracle's virtualization experts at Oracle Demogrounds during the Exhibition hours.
Look forward to seeing you there at Oracle OpenWorld.
- S317316 Oracle VM Server for SPARC: Enabling a Flexible, Efficient IT Infrastructure, Wednesday, September
22, 1:00PM | Moscone South, Rm 301