Friday Mar 11, 2011
Thursday Nov 26, 2009
By Ultan O'Broin-Oracle on Nov 26, 2009
One of the great things about my job working on the user experience user assistance team is I get to do research all aspects of user assistance on all kinds of platforms and devices. This is serious research, but it's fun too!
I love working with mobile devices, and already have too many to play with at home too. Recently, myself and my coworker Rhonda Nelson conducted a focus group with some users of business apps on mobile devices to find out what alerts, messages or help they wanted while working. From our research, empirical observation (and own experiences) we figured that the possibilities offered by native device capabilities might be mentioned (consider, for example, how users of GPS-capable devices like the Android HTC or Apple iPhone might use Google Maps to "help" them locate or transit), but would this expectation be borne out by the focus group? What else would be revealed by the users?
Well, you can find out by reading the usableapps blog article "Researching What Users Want from Help and Alerts on a Mobile Device". We will continue research into user assistance on mobile devices, including the use of e-readers like the Kindle or Nook - really looking forward to some interesting UX research with our users!
Oracle Apps Cloud UX assistance. UX and development outreach of all sorts to the apps dev community, helping them to design and deliver usable apps using PaaS4SaaS.
Ultan Ó Broin. Senior Director, Oracle Applications User Experience, Oracle EMEA. Twitter: @ultan
See my other Oracle blog on product globalization too: Not Lost in Translation
Interests: User experience (UX), PaaS, SaaS, design patterns, tailoring, Cloud, dev productivity, language quality, mobile apps, Oracle FMW, and a lot more.
- Earbuds, Sport, Language, and Music: Wearable Tech UX Looks Familiar
- Fashion-conscious Wearable Technology Innovation
- Sew Cool Code: Oracle Fashion Technology In The Making
- UX in a Heartbeat: Emotion and Happenin' Haptics on the Apple Watch
- Your New Favourite Band? Watch Straps Get Smart
- #PaaS4SaaS: Digital Branding in the Cloud with UX. Beyond Marketing
- Jules of the Oracle Cloud: Wiring Developers' Use Cases to UX PaaS4SaaS Productivity
- Your First KiSS: Learning 2 ♥ #IoT UX with APIs
- How End Users, CIOs, & Sales Reps Can Have Their ERP Cake & Eat It: Oracle Cloud UX
- On the Road with Apps UX: Oracle PaaS4SaaS Partner Enablement is Worldwide