Friday Mar 11, 2011
Thursday Nov 26, 2009
By ultan o'broin on Nov 26, 2009
One of the great things about my job working on the user experience user assistance team is I get to do research all aspects of user assistance on all kinds of platforms and devices. This is serious research, but it's fun too!
I love working with mobile devices, and already have too many to play with at home too. Recently, myself and my coworker Rhonda Nelson conducted a focus group with some users of business apps on mobile devices to find out what alerts, messages or help they wanted while working. From our research, empirical observation (and own experiences) we figured that the possibilities offered by native device capabilities might be mentioned (consider, for example, how users of GPS-capable devices like the Android HTC or Apple iPhone might use Google Maps to "help" them locate or transit), but would this expectation be borne out by the focus group? What else would be revealed by the users?
Well, you can find out by reading the usableapps blog article "Researching What Users Want from Help and Alerts on a Mobile Device". We will continue research into user assistance on mobile devices, including the use of e-readers like the Kindle or Nook - really looking forward to some interesting UX research with our users!
Oracle applications user experience (UX) assistance. UX and development outreach of all sorts to the apps community, helping to design and deliver usable apps.
Ultan Ó Broin. Director, Global Applications User Experience, Oracle Corporation. On Twitter: @ultan
See my other Oracle blog about product globalization too: Not Lost in Translation
Interests: User experience (UX), user centered design, design patterns, tailoring, BYOD, dev relations, language quality, mobile apps, Oracle FMW and ADF, and a lot more.
- It's Not How You Wink, It's How You Work
- Copy is Interface Design
- APIs are User Experience Design Too
- Dress Code 2.0: Wearables
- UK Pilot Event: Fusion Applications Release 8 Simplified UI: Extensibility & Customization of User Experience
- Simple to Use, Simple to Design, Simple to Build at UKOUG Apps 13
- Why Be Shy About Applications User Experience? Be Shameless like @ultan
- PeopleSoft UX Design Principles and Guidelines Available
- Design Patterns as Grand Theft AUX? Come See Us At OOW13 and Find Out!
- Shout-out for ADF EMG Sunday at Oracle OpenWorld 2013