Sorting Lego Bricks
By uejio on Dec 30, 2005
I finally got some time this holidays to help my kids organize their lego bricks. They have hundreds, ok, maybe thousands of lego bricks all stored in three large bins. It's almost impossible to find anything easily since all the bins have different types and colors. They always end up just pouring out the bins and we have lego all over the place. (Yea, they don't mind, but I do....)
We tried sorting by color a few years back, but that didn't seem to make it easier to find anything. So, this time, we sorted by shape and type into 10 categories:
- Standard sized bricks. I.e. all the 1x1, 1x2, 2x3, 2x4 etc. up thru a fairly large maybe 10x15.
- Flat bricks larger than 2x2.
- People parts and accessories.
- Slanted pieces (ramps, upside down ramps, etc.)
- Bricks that are not standard sizes and have curves or standard sized bricks that have decals on them.
- Small miscellaneous bricks that are less than 2x2.
- Large miscellaneous bricks 2x2 or larger.
- Wheels, pieces that go into wheels, and other related spinning things.
- Non-lego (Mega blocks and other stuff that was in the lego bins).
- Animals, flowers, trees, other plants, and flags.
So far, it has made it easier to determine that we don't have certain pieces to build duplicates of some models. We've saved all the old instructions from past models, so we're going to try to see if we can build them again...
I wonder how long this system will last...