Has the Internet changed your life?
By uejio on Nov 06, 2006
It always amazes me how much my life and the business world has changed over the past few years because of the Internet. I shop online, research products, read the news, watch YouTube videos, play games, keep in touch with friends and family, and I even spend some time blogging. I did some of this 5 years ago, but every year it seeems that I spend more and more time on the Internet. At first glance that would seem like a bad thing...
But, interestingly enough, I find myself:
- paying more attention to current events (because of reading the news more often on the Internet)
- reading more books (because I found good reviews on the Internet)
- listening to more music (that I downloaded off the Internet)
- practicing more piano (because I'm more inspired by above music)
- composing more piano music (because I've been practicing more)
- watching more TV (because I can keep up with episodes I missed on the Internet)
- being closer to old friends and family (because of email)
Am I the norm or the exception? According to a not so recent report from 2005 on about.com, an estimated 1 billion people will use the Internet in 2006. That includes 200 million Americans. So, maybe I am the norm?
But, what about the future? My kids can't imagine the time before we had personal computers. They can imagine life without the Internet, but they've had it for as long as they can remember. I can barely remember owning a black and white TV and can't remember growing up without a TV. What will the world be like 30 years from now when my kids are my age? It's almost scary to think about it...