Wednesday Mar 14, 2012
Tuesday May 25, 2010
By jdipol on May 25, 2010
The Update Center project team is pleased to announce the release of version 2.3 Update 2 of the toolkit. Highlights of key issues addressed in this release include:
- Desktop Notifier
- Memory footprint reduction of background notifier process
- Enhanced appearance of notifier balloon
- Update Tool
- View log file from GUI
- Extra Tools
- Improved error handling
- Support for HP-UX 11.23/11.31
- Support JRockit JVM
Friday Jan 22, 2010
By ckamps on Jan 22, 2010
The Update Center project team is pleased to announce the release of version 2.3 Update 1 of the toolkit. Highlights of key issues addressed in this release include:
- Desktop Notifier
- Always uses the latest available version of the toolkit when multiple images are present.
- Continues to check for updates even when invalid images and repository access errors are encountered.
- Update Tool GUI and Desktop Notifier are better prepared to handle incompatible images emerging with version 2.4 of the toolkit.
- Java Bootstrap
- No longer causes out of date catalog cache requiring "pkg refresh" as a workaround.
- No longer overwrites existing publisher UUIDs.
- Initialization property optin.usage.reporting has been retired.
- pkg(5) Java API
- Enables setting publisher UUID even when no UUID exists in the publisher configuration.
- Automatically sets publisher UUID when not already set.
- makeimage developer tool works properly with file URLs on Mac OS X.
- Various localization gaps addressed.
Thursday Dec 24, 2009
By tmueller on Dec 24, 2009
The Update Center 2 development team is please to announce the availability of build 44 (download) of the Update Center Toolkit. This is a significant biuld in that it brings in a new version of the pkg(5) software from OpenSolaris. It also resolves ? issues from the previous build.
Due to unresolved compilation problems, the Windows and AIX versions of this build are not available. Also, the updates to the Java API for pkg(5) to support the new capabilities in this pkg(5) version have not yet been completed, so the Java API and the bootstrap capability it supports is also not available in this build. Both of these issues are expected to be resolved in the next build.
The updated pkg(5) software is based on OpenSolaris build 129. It includes the following new features and characteristics:
- A new catalog format, version 1, is used within repositories, within images, and to download catalogs from the server to the image. This new format enables more efficient catalog processing by including more information from package manifests into the catalog. It uses the JSON data format to store the data.
- The new catalog format includes the name of the publisher. The pkg(5) software now requires that the publisher(s) within a repository be named using a publisher.prefix property that can be set for a repository using either the pkgsend or pkg.depotd command. The name of the publisher within an image must match the name of the publisher in the repository. The pkg(5) client software now enforces this.
- A variation of the catalog format is also used to store information about packages that are installed into an image, replacing the files that were stored in the state/installed meta-data directory.
- The meta-data areas for storing downloaded files in images and the content files in a repository have been modified to use a more efficient storage method that uses a one-level directory tree rather than a two level hierarchy.
- The software for evaluating a proposed update has been improved to make use of a boolean satisfy-ability problem solver. This resolves several defects in the way that package updates are calculated.
- The pkg(5) software not uses Python 2.6 rather than Python 2.4. A minimized version of Python 2.6 is now included in the UC2 toolkit.
- The list of publishers in an image is now completely ordered rather than having a preferred publisher and several other non-preferred publishers. This order is used for selecting which publisher to use when a package is available in multiple publishers. New options are available in pkg(1) for ordering publishers.
- Publishers can now be made "sticky" or "non-sticky". The previous behavior was sticky. When a package is installed from a non-sticky publisher, updates to the package can come from any other publisher, not just from the publisher from which the package was originally installed.
- Pkg(5) now supports "exclude" dependencies in packages. This type of dependency declares that two packages cannot be installed within an image at the same time.
- The pkg(5) API now includes an interface for canceling a search operation. The updatetool client should be able to use this API in the future.
When the new pkg(5) software is used on an image or a repository, the meta-data is automatically converted to the new format. After this conversion, the older pkg(5) software will no longer work with either an image or a repository. A new image will not be recognized as an image by pkg(5) software from previous builds and previous UC2 Toolkit versions. To deal with this situation, the updatetool, software update, and notification software is being modified to avoid automatically updating an image to the new format. These modifications are still underway, but in build 44, updatetool warns the user when it encounters an older image and gives the user an opportunity to choose whether the image will be updated. This behavior may be changed in future builds.
There are some significant known regressions and limitations with this build:
- The platform and Java API limitations are described above. (issue 1974 and issue 1858)
- Updatetool does not automatically open the image from the current working directory (issue 1982)
- For the most part, the updatetool software does not yet provide access to new features such as publisher ordering or non-sticky publishers.
Thursday Dec 10, 2009
Monday Nov 30, 2009
By tmueller on Nov 30, 2009
The Update Center 2 development team is pleased to announce the availability of build 42 (download) of the Update Center Toolkit. This build resolves 13 issues beyond the previous build. This build is first build leading up to the 2.4 release to be announced on this blog. The 2.4 release plan calls for a product ready release in March of 2010. Feature highlights for the 2.4 release include:
- Keeping apace with the OpenSolaris 2010.03 release of the pkg(5) software
- Improving support for configuration logic and restart notifications as part of an install/update of a package
- Reducing the memory footprint for the notifier while it is idle
- Expanding platform support to include 64 bit Linux binaries and better Windows 7 support
- Enhancing the updatetool interface to provide better accessibility support and faster component listings
As with previous releases, development builds are planned for every two weeks, with a slight pause during the end-of-year holidays.
Wednesday Nov 18, 2009
By tmueller on Nov 18, 2009
The Update Center team is pleased to announce the availability of release 2.3 of the Update Center Toolkit. The focus for this release has been to improve the overall quality of the toolkit by reducing the bug backlog. This release also includes the following new features:
- Support for the AIX operating system (command line only) and the Windows 7 operating system (user folder only)
- A new version of pkg(5) that is aligned with OpenSolaris build 122. This version includes a new transport library based on libcURL.
- Support for package icons in updatetool (see pkg.icon.24px)
- Ability for updatetool to show only a few recent versions rather than all or one.
- Support for an "excludedirs" capability in the makepkgs tool
- Support for specifying a default ownership for files when using makepkgs
- The copypkgs tool can copy packages to/from a pkg.depotd server
- The HTML templates for pkg.depotd support showing only the most recent version of packages
- Improved on-line help for the software update interface
- Improved startup time for the software update interface when started from the notifier
- Support for promoting new software applications via the software update interface
This release will make its debut in the GlassFish v3 release that is scheduled for later this year.
Friday Oct 02, 2009
By tmueller on Oct 02, 2009
The Update Center 2 development team is pleased to announce the availability of build 38 (download) of the Update Center Toolkit. This build resolves 25 issues beyond the previous build. This build is expected to be the final build for the 2.3 release. When quality testing is completed and the go is given for the release, we'll rename this (or a respin if necessary) the 2.3 final release.
Tuesday Sep 29, 2009
By tmueller on Sep 29, 2009
As the Update Center Toolkit team wraps up the development of the 2.3 release, planning for the 2.4 release has started. There is now a 2.4 planning page on our development wiki with a draft schedule and ideas about major themes and features. If as a user you would like to provide input to this planning process, that input would be most welcome. Just send email to email@example.com.
One of the big changes that will be in 2.4 is the version of pkg(5) that will be shipped with OpenSolaris 2010.02, which includes changes in the way that the meta data is stored for an image. These changes are expected to have a big improvement on performance along with better update planning through the SAT solver feature.
If you have filed issues against the toolkit and would like to express the need to have the issue resolved, please update the issue with that information on Issue Tracker. We will take that information into consideration when planning the next release.
Tuesday Sep 15, 2009
By tmueller on Sep 15, 2009
The Update Center 2 development team is pleased to announce the availability of build 37 (download)
of the Update Center Toolkit. This
build resolves 18 defects and contains 1 enhancements beyond the previous build. The
pkg(5) drop for this build is based on build 122 of OpenSolaris with some additional
The next build, 38, is expected to be the final build for the 2.3 release.
Thursday Sep 03, 2009
By tmueller on Sep 03, 2009
The Update Center 2 development team is pleased to announce the availability of build 36 (download)
of the Update Center Toolkit. This
build resolves 21 defects and contains 13 enhancements beyond the previous build. The
pkg(5) drop for this build is based on build 121 of OpenSolaris with some additional
This was the last open bug fix build for the 2.3 release. The remaining builds are for stoppers for the release.
Monday Aug 24, 2009
By tmueller on Aug 24, 2009
The Update Center 2 development team is pleased to announce the availability of build 35 (download)
of the Update Center Toolkit. This
build resolves 22 defects and contains 7 enhancements beyond the previous build. Two of the major modifications for this build are support for the AIX operating system and inclusion of a pkg(5) drop that brings in a new transport layer based on the cURL library.The pkg(5) drop is based on build 118 of OpenSolaris with some additional fixes. The intent is to resynchronize with the pkg(5) gate several additional times before development on 2.3 is concluded.
Feature development for the 2.3 release is now mostly done, and the remaining builds are intended to fix defects.
Wednesday Aug 19, 2009
By tmueller on Aug 19, 2009
The Update Center team is pleased to announce the availability of release 2.2 Update 2 of the Update Center Toolkit. This release includes the following changes:
Tuesday Aug 04, 2009
By tmueller on Aug 04, 2009
The Update Center 2 development team is pleased to announce the availability of build 34 (download) of the Update Center Toolkit. This is the fourth development build for the 2.3 release that is targeted for delivery later this year. This build resolves 18 issues and contains 2 enhancements beyond the previous build.
This build does not yet include the new pkg(5) drop nor support for AIX. These have been delayed due to difficulties in development of these features, especially with Windows support for the pycurl library that is needed for the new pkg(5) drop and in creating a working build environment for AIX.
Friday Jul 24, 2009
By M Barker on Jul 24, 2009
The Update Center 2 development team is pleased to announce the availability of build 33 (download) of the Update Center Toolkit. This is the third development build for the 2.3 release that is targeted for delivery later this year. This build resolves 27 issues and contains 8 enhancements beyond the previous build.
Included in this build are better support for non-default users in makepkgs, a new source column in list of components displayed by the Software Update GUI, fixes to various display problems with the Update Tool GUI, improved support for Windows 7, and the ability to view only recent versions (instead of all versions) of a package in the Update Tool GUI. There are many other fixes and enhancements that can be seen at the link above.
News for projects adopting the multi-platform port of the Image Packaging System - aka pkg(5)
- Update Center Toolkit 2.3.5 Release
- Update Center Toolkit 2.3 Update 2 Release
- Update Center Toolkit 2.3 Update 1 Release
- Windows TCP Receive Window Auto-Tuning
- Update Center Toolkit 2.4 Build 44 Available
- Updating Production Systems Using pkg(5)
- Update Center Toolkit 2.4 Build 43 Available
- Update Center Toolkit 2.4 Build 42 Available
- Update Center Toolkit 2.3 Release
- GlassFish v3 Prelude Rolls Out Update Center Toolkit 2.2 Update 2