Solaris Express 11/04 is coming
By Alan Hargreaves-Oracle on Nov 24, 2004
The decision has just been made (inside the last hour). Solaris Express 11/04 will be build 72 and should be available on or around November 30.
The big thing for this one is...
64 bit Solaris on AMD.
Other enhancements include...
- Intelligent Platform Management Interface - implementing IPMI. IPMI is an x86 industry standard for remote sensing and lights out hardware management.
- The new login screen and logo (had to get that in)
- Apache Version 2
There are also enhancments to...
- Dtrace (which I'm sure that Adam will discuss)
- System V IPC and Other Resource Controls
- New and updated drivers (e.g. support for the S2io Xframe 10gb ethernet adapter)
As usual, the documentation will be available for free at docs.sun.com.
I found that some of the changes meant that I had to address a problem in the bcf driver in order to get my network working (and nort panicing the notebook. I'm communicating these back to Murayama-san.
There's more in here than what I have listed, these are just the initial highlights. I'm sure that others will make their own highlights lists shortly (I may even add some more myself later).