Open ESB Tip : BPEL Monitoring - Back In Black
By The Old Toxophilist on Dec 02, 2009
Read the original article at The Crooked Stick
Look and Feel so important with any application I decided to
take a look at the JQuery UI functionality and see if I could leverage
this to enhance the overall presentation of the BPEL Monitor. To this
end I copied the core Servlet functionality into a new project and
decided to rebuild the monitor.jsp page to use JQuery UI and its
associated Theme options.
I choose the darkness theme for the new layout simply because it
matched the rest of my desktop bu the the pages can be simply modified
to use any of the other JQuery Themes.
As you will be able to see from the screen images below I have removed the Menu from the left side of the screen and simple enhenced the Dashboard tab to provide the additional hyperlink functionality. The key areas within the Monitor are still provided by the 4 top level Tabs:
- Dashboard : Provides the summary of executed processes.
- Process Monitor : All the information about the selected process.
- Configuration : Configuration options.
- Getting Started : Link to the Getting Started Blog entry.
I will not goi into detail about the working of the monitor because
this has been discussed elsewhere within the trail I simply intend to
show an alternative layout.
The Dashboard now includes the hyperlinks that allow the user to
select the BPEL Process of interest. This has replaced the left menu
option and provides access to all BPEL Processes that have been execute
at least once.
Process Monitor - Summary
Displays the summary information for the selected BPEL process. If
the Show Management Icons has been selected the user will see three
additional Management buttons allowing them the Pause / Resume /
Terminate All Instances of this process.
Process Monitor - Instances
Lists the processing status and times for all, or the restricted
based on the search criteria, instances for the selected BPEL process.
Process Monitor - Process
Displays an SVG Representation of the Business process. Depnding on
the options selected within the Configuration tab the actual SVG will
vary. The image below has Collapse Composite and Show Business Icon set
and hence it display a business view of the process. If the user have
selected a specific instance within the Instances Accordion then the
processing status of the activities will be display, as coloured
backgrounds, and this will be update on the specified Refresh interval.
Hence is a running process has been selected then the user will see the
status updated in near real time.
Process Monitor - Statistics
Displays either the overall processing stats for the entries
displayed in the Instances Accordion or is an instance has been
selected then the processing stats for the activities within that
Process Monitor - Activities
Displays the status of the activities for the select process
instance. If no instance is selected this tab will be empty.
Process Monitor - Variables
Simply displays the values of all the monitored variables for this
process. This table will only appear if a specific instance is selected.
Standard Configuration Tab:
- Refresh Period : Frequency (interval in Second) with which the data is refreshed. Only the data for the displayed tab will be refreshed.
- Process Layout : Orientation of the BPEL Process.
- Icon Set : Designated Icons to use for the process this can be overridden for collapsed composites using the Show Business Icons option.
- Icon Size : Specify the size of the Icons displayed and control some of the layout. Will be overridden by the slider.
- Layout : Controls how the SVG will be generated.
- Show Sequence / Scope Names : Simply adds the names of the Sequence / Scope to the generated SVG.
- Hide Assigns : Removes Assigns from the SVG.
- Collapse Composites : Collapses the Sequence & Scopes within the SVG but also provides toggle options to expand a specific collapsed composite.
- Show Management Buttons : Adds Pause / Resume / Terminate buttons to each running BPEL Instance in the Instance Accordion and also Pause / Resume / Terminate All buttons to the Summary Accordion.
- Show Business Icons : The requires collapse composites to be set and will display alternative, business, icons for the collapsed composite as defined in the MONITORBPELACTIVITYICONS table within the monitoring database (bpelseDB).
- Bright Colours :Uses an
alternative, projector friendly, set of colours for highlighting