Solaris Cluster 3.2U2
By Tirthankar on Jan 28, 2009
Solaris Cluster 3.2U2 got released yesterday. This release contains the zone cluster feature. Thus one can make clusters made up of zones. Now isn't it really cool. Well I find it even cooler since I have been working on zone cluster project
Top New and Enhanced Features
Solaris Cluster includes extended Solaris Container support for applications such as Oracle RAC databases enabling highly available consolidated services at lower cost.
- Solaris Container Cluster: Allows the creation of fully isolated virtual clusters based on Solaris Container virtual nodes. Distributed applications such as Oracle RAC databases and in the near future solutions such as MySQL can be run in separate virtual clusters. Multiple databases or database version can be consolidated into one physical cluster for highly available consolidated service.
2. High Availability
Solaris Cluster is enabling increased High Availability levels through more monitoring capabilities and improved configuration verification tools.
- Quorum Monitoring: Provides continuous monitoring of all types of quorum devices including quorum server and sends notifications about failures, enabling proactive maintenance.
- Configuration Checker: Checks for vulnerable cluster configurations regularly and rapidly, limiting failures due to mis-configuration throughout the life-time of the cluster
3. Flexibility and Ease of Use
Solaris Cluster is improving flexibility and ease of use and support more configurations.
- Optional Fencing: Fine-grained control of the usage of fencing enables use of shared storage by systems outside the cluster and inclusion of new storage with limited or no support of SCSI based fencing.
- Software Quorum: Disks that do not support SCSI reservation can be used as quorum disks thanks to a new quorum device protocol.
- Optional dedicated partition: a lofi device can be used on Solaris 10 for the Solaris Cluster global-devices namespace as an alternative to a dedicated partition.
- Exclusive IP in Solaris Container: supported with Solaris Cluster HA agents.
- Oracle Data Guard: supported with Solaris Cluster Geographic Edition.
- IPsec: supported on the cluster interconnect.
- Sun StorageTek Availability Suite: supported in Solaris Container with Solaris Cluster Geographic Edition.
4. New supported applications and agent features
Solaris Cluster is supporting even more applications such as Informix IDS and applications versions out-of-the-box to facilitate integration and deployment.'
Read and view more about the announcement here