Configuration Migration Assistant Part 7 - Migration Import
By ACShorten on Feb 07, 2013
After data is exported it can be imported into target environments. The original source environment can also be a target environment if you wish to use export to restore the data (Note: Deletes are not supported in Configuration Migration Assistant).
Note: Before importing data ensure that the Master Configuration Record for the Migration Assistant Configuration has been setup.
To execute an import, access the target environment and perform the following tasks:
- Register the Migration Data Set Imports to import exported data into the environment.
- Execute F1-MGDPR on the target environment to import the data to create a Migration Data Set outlining the changes and the data that is unchanged.
- Optionally, Approve or Reject individual changes
- After the approval process has been completed for the import, the Migration Data Set must be marked as Ready To Apply.
- Execute F1-MGDPR on the target environment to apply the approved changes.
The process is illustrated as follows:
The first step in the import process is to login to the target environment and create a Migration Data Set Import record using the Administration Menu --> M --> Migration Data Set Import menu option. Fill in the following information:
- Import Directory - The import directory taken from the Master Configuration Record for the Migration Assistant Configuration.
- File Name - Name of the export file in the Import Directory (do not include file suffix in name).
- File Suffix - The File Suffix taken from the Master Configuration Record for the Migration Assistant Configuration.
- Default Status For Add - The status value for any detected change that results in an Add. The valid values are:
- Approved - Add is pre-approved.
- Rejected - Add is pre-rejected
- Needs Approval - Add requires a manual approval or rejected
- Default Status for Change - The status value for any detected change that results in an Update. The valid values are:
- Approved - Change is pre-approved.
- Rejected - Change is pre-rejected
- Needs Approval - Change requires a manual approval or rejected
Once the Migration Data Set Import has been saved, as with the Migration Data Set Export it registers the intent to import, it does not perform the import at this time. To import the data, execute the F1-MGDPR batch process to execute the import and compare process. Note: Remember the L2 cache must be switched off for the threadpool used for F1-MGDPR. This will generate a Migration Data Set which will contain all the changes and also the data that has not been changed. To view the status of the Migration Data Set, open the Migration Data Set Import search dialog. For example:
Clicking on the Migration Data Set will list all the changes and unchanged data with the relevant defaults used on the Migration Data Set Import record. For example:
This will list the Migration Objects in the Migration Data Set. Note: If you want to filter out the Unchanged data use the filters on the zone and use Save Preferences to save your preferences. When selecting a change the SQL for the change is displayed. For example:
At this point the change can be Approved or Rejected. Note: The VERSION field is included in each change to ensure that if the record changes between the approval process and the apply changes process then this change will be rejected and the import must be re-performed. This protects integrity of the objects compared.
Once all the changes have been approved the Migration Data Set Import should be marked Ready to Apply. For example:
To apply the changes execute F1-MGDPR batch process which will apply Approved changes for any Migration Data Set's that are Ready To Apply. Note: Remember the L2 cache must be switched off for the threadpool used for F1-MGDPR. To check the status of the Migration Data Set Import check the status on the Migration Data Set Import Query screen. If ALL the changes have been applied then the status will be Applied and if any change failed due to a business rule will be Applied With Errors. For example:
The state transition for an Migration Data Set Import is as follows:
For the Migration Data Set Import:
- Initially Migration Data Set Import is set to Pending state. Before the F1-MGDPR process is executed the import may be manually Cancelled.
- At the start of the process the Migration Data Set is created and the Migration Data Set Import is marked Ready to Compare.
- During the compare process the Migration Data Set Import is marked as Comparing.
- If the compare process encounters an error the Migration Data Set Import is marked in Error and import stopped.
- If there are NO additions or changes in the export in the target environment, then the Migration Data Set Import is marked as Unchanged, otherwise is marked as Awaiting Approval.
- After the manual approval process the Migration Data Set Import is marked as Ready to Apply. Before the F1-MGDPR process is executed the import may be manually set to Cancel Apply.
- During the Apply Changes process, using the F1-MGDPR batch process, the Migration Data Set Import is marked as Applying.
- After the Apply Changes process, if all changes are applied successfully then the Migration Data Set Import set to Applied. If any errors occurred it is marked to Applied With Errors.
For more information about this aspect of the Configuration Migration Assistant and other aspects refer to the Configuration Migration Assistant Overview (Doc Id: 1506830.1) whitepaper available from My Oracle Support.