Configuration Migration Assistant Part 3 - Master Configuration
By Acshorten-Oracle on Jan 16, 2013
The first configuration step that must be performed for the Configuration Migration Assistant, as part of Oracle Utilities Application Framework V184.108.40.206.0, is to setup a Master Configuration Record for the Migration Assistant Configuration. This record sets up the locations of files exported and imported for each environment. It also sets the suffix for the files.
This must be performed once per environment and before any export or import activities are performed.
To setup this record the following process can be used:
- Logon to the product environment you wish to configure using the browser
- Navigate to the Admin --> M --> Master Configuration menu item.
- Find the Migration Assistant Configuration item. If none, exists you can create it using the Add Action (+).
- Edit the Migration Assistant Configuration Master Configuration Record by clicking on the name or Action field. For example:
- Specify the following on the edit dialog:
- Export Directory - Directory to place export files into for exports initiated from this environment
- Import Directory - Directory to get import files from for imports reqeusted for this environment
- File Suffix - The file suffix (including the '.') to attach to the file automatically.The suffix is simply used to be able to denote the file. The choice of file suffix does not affect the format of the contents of the file at any stage.
- Save the Record.
For the Export and Import Directories you can use any valid directory but the directory must be read writeable by the user you will use for the export and readable for the user you will use for the import. Security will be discussed in a later post.
From an implementation point of view these directories can be setup as follows:
- You can use the same directories for import and export.
- You can use different directories for import and export.
- You can use a common directories or seperate directories for each environment. For example, you can specify a global set of directories to share files easily. If you use seperate directories you will have to manually transfer export files across these directories.
For more information about this aspect of the Configuration Migration Assistant and other aspects refer to the Configuration Migration Assistant Overview (Doc Id: 1506830.1) whitepaper available from My Oracle Support.