By Acshorten-Oracle on Jan 11, 2013
To use the Configuration Migration Assistant facility in Oracle Utilities Application Framework V188.8.131.52.0 the are two main sets of step that must be performed:
- Configuration - The Configuration Migration Assistant must be configured at an environment level to determine the locations of data exports and imports as well as definitions of the migration specifications.
- Execution - Registering the intent to export and import data as well as physically exporting and importing the data. Once the data has been imported performing approval of specific changes and then applying the import data set.
These topics will be individually covered in subsequent entries in this blog to target specific settings. The flow diagrams illustrate a summary of the processes used in the Configuration Migration Assistant.
To configure the Configuration Migration Assistant the following must be performed:
- Migration Master Configuration - Define the default location for import and export files generated by the Configuration Migration Assistant. Define the default file suffix for the export/import files. This task only has to be done once per environment and must be performed BEFORE the first export or import task is performed.
- Define Migration Plans - Define the Business Object definitions and their relationships to migrate the group of Business Objects as a single unit. The sequence and relationship is defined for the associated child objects. The relationship, known as Traversal Criteria, is expressed as Constraint, SQL expression or XPath statement describing the related data.
- Define Migration Requests - Define the groups of migration plans to migrate as a set including the selection criteria expressed as SQL expression, XPath statement or algorithm.
Once configuration is complete on the source environment then the execution component of the feature can be used to perform migrations. The following flow summarizes these processes:
Define Migration Export - Register the intent to export the data with the Migration Request to use for the export and the file name to use for the export. The Migration Master Configuration record for the environment is used to set the location and suffix. This process wont actually export the data, hence the word intent, it simply registers the fact that you want to export the data.
Export Data - Execute the Migration Monitor batch process to physically export all the active Migration Export requests using the specification on the Migration Export.
Define Migration Import - Register the intent to import the data file from the import directory. The migration import directory and file prefix are taken from the Migration Master Configuration record for the environment.
Import Data - Execute the Migration Monitor batch process to physically export all the active Migration Import requests using the specification on the Migration Import. At the is time the use of the Approval/Rejection process can be defaulted by change type. At this time a Migration Data Set is created to hold the changes.
Approval Process - If there are any manual changes that require approval can be manually approved. Regardless of whether approvals are required, the Migration Data Set must be marked Ready to Apply.
Apply Changes - Execute the Migration Monitor batch process to physically apply the changes. The Migration Data Set will display the status of each change at application time. Data is re-validated at the time of application to maximize data integrity.
Each of these processes will be expanded on in future blog entries with guidelines. For more information on this facility refer to Configuration Migration Assistant Overview (Doc Id: 1506830.1).