By ACShorten on Jul 16, 2012
One of the advantages of Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c is the ability to manage Oracle WebLogic directly from the console with or without the use of the Oracle WebLogic management packs. Obviously customers can manage more with the packs but some basic administration and monitoring capabilities can be used from the basic Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c installation.
With Oracle Utilities Application Framework V2.x and above, the use of Oracle Weblogic is different to the typical base use of Oracle WebLogic. The Oracle Utilities Application Framework uses Oracle WebLogic in what I call "embedded mode". Customers install Oracle WebLogic as per the standard Oracle WebLogic installation process but "point" the installation to the Oracle Utilities Application Framework to execute the product. The advantage of this for non-production is that you can share a single copy of Oracle WebLogic across multiple environments on a single machine easily and each environment is isolated operationally with its own domain and own administration server. The disadvantage is that Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c cannot easily recognize the installation using the Auto-Discovery functionality provided by that product.
All is not lost though, it is possible to use the functionality using the "Add Targets Manually" functionality to expose the Oracle WebLogic instance for each environment as a target to manage.
To use this facility you need the following installed and available:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c console and OMS somewhere in your architecture
- The machines that house the environment MUST be registered to the OMS as managed targets of "Host" target type. This ensures the agent is deployed and working to those machines.
- The instances of Oracle WebLogic to be registered for the environments must be executing. Oracle WebLogic instances that are not active will not be registered using this process.
From the "Setup" menu in Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c select "Add Targets Manually" from the "Add Target" menu. Select the "Add Non-host Targets using Guided Process" and select "Oracle Fusion Middleware" from the Target Type list. For example:
Use the "Add Using Guideed Discovery ..." button to initiate the process. This will display a dialog to manually add the Oracle WebLogic embedded target type.
To register an envieonment specify the following:
- Administration Server Host - The host name used for WL_HOST in your environment. This host must be registered to Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c as a target so that the agent is redeployed.
- Port - The port number assigned to the environment (WL_PORT).
- Username - An account authorized to the Oracle WebLogic console. The Oracle Utilities Application Framework installer creates an initial user system that can be used if you have not got a site specific value for this user. This userid is used, by default, for all operations to the target. It must be an Administration account not a product account.
- Password - The password configured for the Username.
- Unique Domain Identifier - An unique identifier for the domain to denote within Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c. This is important and should be some value that means something for your admninistrator to understand. This also allows multiple targets per host to be defined easily. Make sure you do not use any embedded blanks and special characters for the name.
- Agent - This is the default host and port for the OEM agent on that machine. Just for references and can be altered if the default port is different for OEM at your site.
Press "Continue" to complete the process. If the above parameters are correct then new targets should appear in the console as management targets. The Oracle WebLogic domain and each of the deployments will appear seperately in the target list. For example:
The targets can now be managed and monitored using the facilites of Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c from the console.
You can repeat this process for each of your environments. This process does not need to be repeated as once a target is registered Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c will maintain the connection.