The Application Management Pack for Oracle Utilities has been updated with new and updated functionality. The whitepaper Oracle Application Management Pack for Oracle Utilities Overview (Doc Id: 1474435.1) available from My Oracle Support has been updated with the latest information including an overview of how to upgrade from previous versions.
The new and changed functionality is as follows:
- The pack is a complete rewrite of the original pack using a lower level API to Oracle Enterprise Manager. This means deep integration to features in Oracle Enterprise Manager and integrations to other Oracle Enterprise Manager plugins.
- There is a completely new target model which recognizes individual components of the architecture. In past release of the pack, there was a single target type (Oracle Utilities Environment) which did not really reflect the diverse architectures that customers and partners implemented. In this new release, the Web Application, Service Application, Batch Application and Software locations are all detected and registered individually. A composite target called "Oracle Utilities Environment" now is a collection of these other targets.
- This new target model and the adoption of the Oracle Enterprise Manager security model allows greater flexibility in security. It is now possible to authorize at an individual target level as well as a task level (or combinations) with multiple levels of permissions. This allows customers and partners to model their IT organizational permissions within the target model.
- The new pack includes most of the features of the last pack with new interfaces using standard menus and each to use quick buttons. A few features have been removed to be added in future releases:
- The Assessment feature has been removed and will be replaced with Compliance Frameworks in a future release.
- The Log Viewing/Configuration File Viewing feature has been removed and will be replaced with the OEM Log Query feature in a future release.
- IBM WebSphere support has been temporarily removed and will be added in a patch release in the future.
- The new pack features over 100+ product specific metrics tracking online performance and real time batch performance. This is on top of the already 200+ metrics available from the WebLogic instance targets.
- The new pack uses the Oracle WebLogic targets within Oracle Enterprise Manager. This allows direct seemless migration from Oracle Utilities targets to Oracle WebLogic targets. This means if you have the Oracle WebLogic packs installed then you can use advanced facilities directly from Oracle Utilities targets.
- Online performance can be tracked from the new Oracle Utilities Web Service target type. It is also possible to set transactions onto a watch list.
- Batch Threadpools and threads can be managed from Oracle Utilities Batch Server targets across the batch cluster. This also gives you detailed metrics about performance of individual active threads.
Over the next few weeks, look for more information in this blog about individual features. The new pack is denoted as version 188.8.131.52.0 to reflect the new addon status of the pack and is available from Oracle Enterprise Manager Self Update.
Note: Customers of the previous versions of the pack MUST follow the instructions in the Installation Guides for the new pack to upgrade. The old pack MUST be removed before the new pack can be used.
Note: This pack is tightly integrated with Oracle WebLogic targets in the base Oracle Enterprise Manager. BEFORE discovering any Oracle Utilities targets ensure all Oracle WebLogic targets for the Oracle Utilities domain are registered.