By Ari Shamash on May 01, 2009
Our latest version - build #71 - was deployed into production yesterday. Here is what we added:
- What's New: This new panel on the home page takes a subscription feed from our blog at http://blogs.sun.com/thelibrary and displays the three most recent entries right on our home page.
- Featured: This new panel on the home page allows us to highlight specific publishers, software, or resources directly. Want to be listed here? Give us feedback.
- Searching for a specific tag: We have a lot of tags in our system - approximately 3000 of them. The vast majority do not make it into our tag clouds. We now allow you to search for a specific tag, or set of tags, using the same mechanisms as keyword search. This way, if you create a tag that is interesting to you, but doesn't make it into the other tag clouds, you can find it. The output is a little different, however - we display tag search results in a custom tag cloud.
Please note that this feature is different than using a Tag to search for entries in the library, which has been in the system since the very beginning.
- Logo Preview in add/edit panel to improve usability of logos: Previously, many entries in the library did not take advantage of our
logo mechanism, we always wondered why, since after all, an entry with
a logo looks better than an entry without a logo. We always wondered why our users do not take advantage of this feature. Other users tried to take advantage of this feature, but put in invalid URLs.
Many principles in User Interface design teach that if the user does something wrong, the sooner you inform the user, the more usable your application becomes. As such, we now display the logo preview directly in the panel that allows you to edit that particular field. The response is in real time - if you type in an invalid URL for your logo, this is what you'll immediately see:
Type in a valid URL, however, and you'll get some instant gratification! Ah, the sweet site of success ;-)
The circled annotations above were created manually using an image editing tool - the app does not try to figure out what is wrong with the URL, that's a pretty hard problem to solve, we'll save that one for the next iteration. ;-)
- Improved content management requests and authorization emails: The emails that we used to send whenever a user requested to be a content manager, or when that request was approved or denied, needed some improvement. We paid some attention to them, and now they are significantly more user friendly. Our application has direct URL's to many portions of the app, we take advantage of this by including a URL in the approval emails directly to the approval section of the application. This is typical in traditional web applications, which have a URL for each page. Our app is a RIA - which exists on a single HTML page, making this issue a bit more complex from an engineerign perspective.
- Prettier URL: While we're not that vane, our old system used to include "CatalogQueryServer" as part of the URL structure. CatalogQueryServer is the web context at which our application is deployed. This used to leak through sometimes in our URL's, making them less user-friendly. Specifically, our system used to redirect users from http://library.network.com to https://library.network.com/CatalogQueryServer (note the HTTP to HTTPS transition in the redirect), and the web context used to leak through the automated redirect. We have fixed that. So now we have a nice pretty compact URL structure.
As always, feedback (either positive, constructive, or what the weather is like where you) is always welcomed!