Build #76 deployed - numerous UI improvements
By Ari Shamash on Jun 29, 2009
Earlier today, we deployed build #76 to the Sun Software Library. For those of you keep up with our numbering scheme, you'll notice a jump in our build numbers. We were occupied with a side project, one that hopefully we'll be able to show at some point, but since JavaOne, we've been back working on improving the Sun Software Library full time.
Here is what we added:
- Browser Based WYSIWYG editor for descriptions & reviews: we've finally joined the 21st century in implementing this functionality. To prevent various cross-site scripting security issues, we only support a subset of HTML for the description field:
Formatted reviews can easily be created:
For those of you that want to still edit the HTML, you can easily switch back to that mode using the rightmost button in the editor toolbar. As an aside, we also fixed a bug in the logo preview section of the "Basic Information" tab. Previously, under certain circumstances, the log was being distorted.
- Tag Management improvements: Tagging entries with the right tags in the Sun Software Library will make the entries easier to find and use. Based on user feedback, we've revisited the "Add Tags" section of our Web UI and improved it as follows:
- You can now add a "most used' tag directly to your page:
- The "other tag" field is now easier to navigate, as the search results all show up in one list:
- Most Recently Updated section of the home page is now more accurate. Previously, an entry was considered "most recently updated" only if the entry itself was updated (e.g. the description field was updated, or the name was updated, etc.) Now, an entry is considered "updated" if it or any of its associated data is updated. For example, if somebody adds a software version to a software record, or if somebody writes a review, that entry will be considered "updated". Kudos to the "Tech Tracker" team for making this request.
- Help Center UI improvements: Our help center finally got a much needed face lift, including styling to make it look like our primary site, as well as an embedded screencast orienting new users to our app.
We've also fixed numerous bugs, etc. There are more improvements in store, keep the feedback coming!